Six and half years ago, a couple years after my Mom had passed away, I met a young woman in our church small group who had just lost her mother. "C" was single, early 20's and heartbroken by this much-too-early, tragic loss. As her first Mother's Day without her Mom present, I knew from personal experience how difficult it can be to not have your Mother (and not be a Mother) on this holiday dedicated to Moms. So, I invited "C" to join me in protesting the day and asked if she wanted to play hookie with me from church for that day.
The two of us did just that. We met mid-morning and head out for lunch and then to the quaint village of Niagara-on-the-Lake, just down the road from Niagara Falls. We wandered the little shops and stopped in at the Trish Romance gallery. Both of us were hugely fond of the talents Trish demonstrated in her homey paintings and we both were delighted to find that Trish was actually in her gallery that day, signing autographs. For "C" this was extra special as her parents had many of Trish's framed prints and paintings in their home. It was if God Himself was planning each detail of "C"'s day (which of course He was!).
This little field trip began a bond between the two of us and morphed into a mentoring relationship that saw "C" through the ups and downs of the next few years as she dated and experienced heartbreak. Then, just as she was preparing to head to Africa as a missionary, God blossomed a friendship she was starting with a certain young man in our church who had befriended my Hubby.
Hubby and I became match-makers extraordinaire as we listened to each of these two young folks as "A" overcame incredible shyness and "C" wrapped her head around God's timing in bringing them together. For two years they corresponded, Skyped and visited one another half way around the world when they could. Love eventually blossomed and plans for a future were starting to take shape.
About a year ago I got a call from "C" all the way from Africa. She and "A" had talked about the fact that marriage was on the horizon and she called to ask if I would consider being her "Mother of the Bride" at her wedding. I was blown away by the request. Me? Mother of the Bride? Oh how God has restored the years the locusts ate away. He has taken this barren woman and made her a "Mother". How amazing is He!
I of course told "C" how honoured I was by the request and said "yes!" and here we are... on the eve of her wedding.
As "C" has gone into this week it hasn't been without lots of tears. No young woman should have to walk down the aisle on her big day without her Mom there at the end of the aisle to greet her with a smile. For "C" that isn't possible but I wanted to do something this week to help ease her longing heart. I asked God to show me how I could connect her Mom and me that would have meaning for "C". I went to Hallmark to see what I could find. I looked at frames and little books. Nothing was jumping out at me. Flustered because I didn't have much time to shop I quickly spun around and there my eyes fell upon a Willow Tree Angel.
I picked her up and read what she said...
This was it... the perfect gift! I quickly purchased it and then hurried home to meet up with my niece who was coming for lunch.
Last night after the rehearsal dinner, "C" and I sat down and she opened the gift. She looked at me with tears in her eyes. "Did you know I collect Willow Tree Angels? And I don't have this one!" I was flabbergasted! I did not know she collected Willow Tree Angels... but God did! I KNEW at this moment that God had led me to this gift.
Tomorrow I will walk down the aisle before my "Daughter-in-the-Lord" and represent her Mother as I light her family's candle. I will be honoured to do so and I will be ever so grateful for the gift of not only a "Daughter" in "C", but in being able to check off another "Mom" moment I would never otherwise had.
God truly has proven to "restore the years the locusts ate away" and I am truly grateful!




3 comments:
What an awesome story! I am SOOO happy for you! xo
Hi Sue, I was really touched by your post today. I love Willow Tree and I am sure she will treasure her gift from you to remind her of a mother's love. Pleas stop and visit my blog if you can, I always have pics of my grands. My friend was not able to have kids but she loves being grandma to her step grands. God always provides what we need. I am sure the wedding was beautiful and I hope you can share pics. Hugs.
What a sweet sweet story! An amazing time for you both.
Post a Comment