Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Coming Up For Air

If my blog writing skills and frequency were an Olympic event, I would be disqualified.  I can't believe it's been almost 2 months since my last post.  Geesh!  I so stink at this these days.

Speaking of the Olympics... did you watch?  Did you enjoy?  Who were your favourites?  I caught some of them but I have to admit that I am a nervous Olympics viewer so I didn't watch a ton.  I did enjoy the Opening and Closing Ceremonies though and was particularly interested in the sights around London as Hubby & I will be travelling to the UK on a business trip he has coming up soon!

So what's been keeping me in last place in the Blogging Olympics this summer you may wonder?  Well... I have taken the plunge into the deep waters of a long-held dream.  After years (and more recently months after our last cruise) I decided to become a Cruise and Travel Consultant with Expedia CruiseShipCenters.  I not only am training to be a Certified Cruise Specialist with cruise lines ranging from Contemporary ships to Luxury Liners and Riverboat Cruisers, I'm also learning to sell all-inclusive land vacations and all the trimmings that go with both types of vacations, whether on land or sea.  In my first full 6 weeks on the job I have already sold my first cruise (thanks to a fabulous online friend!!) and yesterday I booked my first all-inclusive package for a friend's son and daughter-in-law here at home.  This seriously is the funnest (and sometimes stressful) job I have ever had.

What I've found really interesting in this process of becoming a "sales consultant" is how the training to become a good salesperson is directly related to spiritual lessons God is teaching me.  As I am reading and learning through books and webinars about the keys to success, God is shining a spotlight on areas of my character that He wants to refine in me as a whole in the process.  Who knew this would happen?  I sure didn't but I'm glad that God has opened this door to this dream job, and also will teach me through it how to be a better woman and Christian.

I'm considering opening a new blog (in addition to this personal one) for my business.  I have a website through my company that you can book and peruse cruises through, but I'd like a more personal spot too where my clients can go and read interesting articles about cruising, the ships, the countries they visit, and give advice, etc.  It will be a work in progress I'm sure.

In the meantime, I've opened up a "page" on Facebook that you can see HERE, as well as my company site HERE.  If you're in the US or Canada and want some cruise or travel info, email me or contact me through my company email shawkes@cruiseshipcenters.com.  I would LOVE to help you make your vacation dreams come true!


7 comments:

Susan said...

Hi Sue, I would like to take one more cruise in the future. Not sure where. My sister and her hubby booked a cruise to Alaska for next year. Glad you found a job with something you really like. I sure enjoyed my Hawaii vacation and I would like to go again. I have lots of pics linked over at my blog. Take care.

Lindsy said...

That's awesome! Good for you. Even better than your obvious enthusiasm is the intertwining of the everpresent Lord in it all...love it.

Jules said...

Hi Sue,
Good for you for jumping right in and doing something you have always dreamed of. It sounds as you really enjoy it and congrats on booking 2 cruises so far.

I would open a blog for sure - with today's social media frenzy, it is almost expected! and isn't it funny how you learn about yourself (the good and the bad) in the places you least expect it.

Have a super weekend! Huggles

Sandra said...

Hey, blogger friend! I've been very sporadic in my posts, as well, but I thought I'd stop in and check on you. Congratulations on your new adventure! It sounds like so much fun! I wish you the best of luck.

~Pam~ said...

Hi Sue,
This is so exciting, I am happy for you!!
Miss you
xoxo

Julie said...

Hi sweets,
just wanted to say how thankful I am for your prayers & loving concern.I am so thankful for the power of prayer and wonderful friends who go to bat for me before our Heavenly Father. I'm doing so much better, and am so thankful.

I absolutely loved the Olympics. Yes, our medal tally was down, but the games were awesome and like you, I so enjoyed seeing bits and pieces of the UK and it's culture. I too would love to go there....one day!

I can't tell you that how thrilled I am to see you following your heart and doing something you have wanted to do for a long time. You will be so good at this, being the bubbly people person that you are, plus your honestly will be a huge asset. People want to know they can trust the one giving them advice...and they can be sure they can absolutely count on you being up front and honest is all your dealings. I look forward to following your journey. Warmest hugs dear friend, Julie. xoxo

Tammy said...

Hey girl! I've been an awful blogger, too. I finally updated today, and thought I'd do a bit of hopping while I'm here--although I need to get my walk in before the football game starts. Love and miss you. Talk to you soon! xo