Thursday, April 5, 2012

Delightful Dominica

Four weeks today our cruise ship docked in the delightful island of Dominica (pronounced Dom-in-eek-a).


Our first glimpse of this lush, green rainforest-ed island, we could see how different this was from the other places we'd been earlier in the week.  After our breakfast on the back deck of the ship, we couldn't help but notice this little gift from God on the starboard side of the ship...


After breakfast, Hubby and I quickly got off the ship to meet up with our ship excursion group at the dock for what would be our biggest and best snorkel so far.  We boarded a catamaran and head down the coast to the Champagne Reef.

Dominica's Champagne Reef is located near an underwater volcano and vents in the volcanic surface cause the water to appear like Champagne as bubbles float to the surface.  It was truly something amazing to experience!



While we snorkelled, we saw some beautiful fish, baby jellyfish and our tour guide led us towards an escaping sea turtle.  Being the novice snorkelers we were, we handed our camera to the guide so he could swim down and grab a picture of the turtle before he was too far away.







As I look over the pictures to share, I marvel that I was actually seeing these things with my own eyes.  I am amazed at God's creativity under the sea!

I have to admit... I felt a little like frogwoman in my snorkelling gear but after my initial fear of swimming in the open water, I actually had a blast!  Can't wait until we get to go again!


Stay tuned for tomorrow's destination...


1 comment:

~Pam~ said...

Hi Sue!
Great pics!!!!
Have a wonderful Easter weekend!
love ya!
xo