Saturday, May 14, 2011

God's Got My Back

This is a post today about "backsides"... one serious... one not so much.  I'll start with the serious.

Tonight is our big Annual Abide Spring Banquet for the ladies of our church.  My team and I have been feverishly preparing things for tonight and despite a few moments of extreme panic earlier in the week, I am feeling pretty good about things this morning.  One of the things that still has my tummy in knots though is the fact that I am emcee for the night.  As facilitator this is my regular role on Thursday mornings, but somehow, with new ladies added to the mix tonight, those nerves of last September are beginning to percolate within my stomach.

It was around this time last year that I felt God calling me to the role of facilitator in the group.  At the time I felt like Moses when God called him to his ministry of heading to Egypt to confront Pharaoh to let the Israelites leave Egypt.  Funny how those words from Exodus 4 came right back to me this morning as I spent some time with God.

10  But Moses pleaded with the Lord, “O Lord, I’m not very good with words. I never have been, and I’m not now, even though you have spoken to me. I get tongue-tied, and my words get tangled.”
11  Then the Lord asked Moses, “Who makes a person’s mouth? Who decides whether people speak or do not speak, hear or do not hear, see or do not see? Is it not I, the Lord12 Now go! I will be with you as you speak, and I will instruct you in what to say.”
13  But Moses again pleaded, “Lord, please! Send anyone else.”

I remember questioning God like Moses... "are you SURE God?"  but I knew it was what God was calling me to so I obediently followed and here we are... on the last night of the Abide year.  I survived!  ha ha

What I found amazing this morning is once again how in tune my Heavenly Father is with my heart, my fears, my worries and my insecurities.  This was the little message that went along with those verses above in the Life Application Study Bible reading for today:

Moses pleaded with God to let him out of his mission. After all, he was not a good speaker and would probably embarrass both himself and God. But God looked at Moses' problem quite differently. All Moses needed was some help, and who better than God to help him say and do the right things? God made his mouth and would give him the words to say. It is easy for us to focus on our weaknesses, but if God asks us to do something, then he will help us get the job done. If the job involves some of our weak areas, then we can trust that he will provide words, strength, courage, and ability where needed.

Seriously.  Is my middle name Moses?  This message was exactly what I needed this morning as I have stressed and worried over whether I would say the wrong thing tonight or look like a fool.  My friends know that in my attempts to be funny, at times something inappropriate or bizarre will fly out of my mouth before I can catch it.  Doing so in front of a new group of ladies ... not exactly the impression I long for this evening.  I love that I don't have to worry though.  Instead, I can just rest in my Almighty Father and trust that He will "provide the words, strength, courage and ability" I need tonight.  Thank you Jesus!

So... with that saddlebag of worry off my back, I'm going to head down and have my workout this morning, shower, do my hair, nails and makeup, put on my outfit and "break a leg" as they say in the theater world... which brings me to the other backside story for you... the not so serious one...

Okay... I'm all about transparency as any of you who either know me personally know or read my blog faithfully know.  There is not much I don't reveal.  Mostly because I have nothing to hide and also I am able to  laugh at myself and hope that my mistakes or struggles help or encourage someone else.  Well... let me be completely transparent today when I tell you what happened to me this week.

So Thursday, :Hubby and I are getting ready to go see my youngest niece in her high school play.  She got the lead role in "Annie" and we didn't want to miss her big acting "debut".  I decided to wear my newer pair of Eddie Bauer jeans.  They are dark denim and if I'm honest (which you know I will be), they were never really my favorites.  Before we left I sat down at my computer to do a few last minute things for the banquet before we head out the door.

Hubby opened the car while he locked the front door and I plop down into the passenger seat of our little red Honda.  All of a sudden I feel this big "Riiiiippppp" in my backside.  NO WAY, I think to myself.  Hubby gets into the driver's seat beside me and before he gets the key into the ignition I ask him for the keys.  "Uh honey... I need to go change my pants" I tell him as I get out of my seat and show him my butt (which of course I hadn't seen at this point).  He gives a stunned giggle as I run into the house.

Upstairs in our room before I toss the obviously VERY POORLY MADE jeans into garbage, I take a look in the long mirror in our room and see this:



Okay... you can stop laughing at my bright red undies!  Hey... at least I was wearing some... and not a thong!  What makes this a ridiculous event is that a) the jeans weren't tight - I'd lost 3 lbs so they were much looser than they have been and b) I haven't worn them that often.  I've had this pair for maybe a year or 2 but I rarely wear them because I didn't really like the denim... now I know why!  I am "torn" now about replacing them because I've only bought Eddie Bauer jeans the past decade because they fit me so well but apparently they can't be trusted anymore.  I will be on the quest for affordable (I'm Scottish so I don't like to spend too much $ on clothes) and properly fitting jeans.  Ugh!  Not something I'm looking forward to.

So... after this very long post I have a question for you my "curvy" hour-glass shaped  readers... what kind of jeans do you buy?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm not curvy, but I am petite, so finding jeans to fit can be difficult. I buy my jeans at American Eagle or Hollister. I did recently find a pair that fit while shopping at Kohl's.

Lindsy said...

That is so funny! I have several girlfriends (and now I myself) who LOVE Old Navy's "flirt" cut jean. We are all different shapes too but they fit us all wonderfully. Bonus: affordability!

Glad the banquet went well.

Amy Kenyon said...

hahahaha! Im laughing WITH you Sue! I have good luck with Old Navy Jeans as well. They seem to fit better.

I hope your night went well with emceeing! Hugs!

Jennifer Emmert said...

Psst! Found you (again)!!

Ok, so with the obvious, I had to chuckle all over again about the jeans... I saw your original post on Facebook about it, and got a giggle reminder today when I re-RED it here. I buy Old Navy, American Eagle, Aeropostale, and Hollister jeans... online in the clearance section of course! Their jeans are always cheaper in their online clearance than they are on the store clearance racks (ubless of course you're lucky enough to live near an outlet and not out in the boon-docks like I am).

As for the serious part of your backside post, you never cease to amaze me with the way you allow the Lord to speak to you, use you, and how effortlessly you (appear to) submit to Him. Even through the "transparency" you reveal about your nerves trying to get the best of you, you always reflect His light through your words and that beautiful smile always have spread across your face.

I miss you... I hope our paths physically cross again this summer. Even Mike occasionally asks about you guys... I think he really liked the time spent talking with Doug :)

Big hugs from the south! XOXO