Sunday, December 12, 2010

Merry Memories of Mom

This morning I was sitting in our church service and the Pastor was talking about God's love.  It was a great message and I really was paying attention, but a few times my mind wandered.  What caused this brief lapse of attention?  It was a few of the verses Pastor Andrew took us to while sharing about God's extravagant love.  They were verses that made me think of my Mom.

The first of the verses that grabbed my attention from the Christmas message was James 1:17.

Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.
My mind went back to a day long ago when my Mom shared the story of my birth.  She had told me that while awaiting labor to strike with me, her sixth baby, her thoughts turned anxious.  Would labor go well?  Could she be so blessed as to have a sixth perfectly healthy baby?  As these thoughts taunted her mind, she opened her Bible that day for "morning devotions" and there on the page, were the words from James 1:17.  Mom relayed to me that a peace came over her and she instantly knew that her labor would go smoothly and I would be born healthy.

I love that story and it has made that verse so very special to me.  No wonder I couldn't pay attention with those precious memories attached to that verse!  Soon after Andrew shared that verse, he quoted another "memory"-filled passage from Lamentations 3.  Verses 22, 23 say:

Because of the LORD’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail.   They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. 

These verses were some of Mom's favorite verses and the reference used in her favorite hymn, "Great Is Thy Faithfulness".  It is at this time of year that Mom shone.  Growing up she always made Christmas special for our family.  I downloaded from iTunes Nat King Cole's Christmas album a few weeks ago.  I was remembering those days heading into Christmas where the air wafted with the sweet aroma of Mom's Christmas baking, while Nat King Cole, Perry Como and Roger Williams played on the kitchen stereo. Aww Sweet Times!!

Although Christmas has changed from those precious childhood days, and Mom has gone on to Heaven, the memories of Christmases past remain warm and cozy within my mind and heart.  This week my own Christmas baking begins and as I roll and cut out, bake and frost the various cookies, I will treasure the legacy my Mom left me all those Christmases ago and I will remember not only the love of my wonderful Mom, but also the awesome love of my Blessed Savior Jesus, whose birth we celebrate at this time of year!







2 comments:

AliceMum said...

What a beautiful post Sue..brought back lots of memories for me of my mom who has been gone now for many years..(17)but I still remember all the baking, decorating, sewing that she did to make Christmas special for us..for years all my Christmas gifts were made by her hands...clothes, doll clothes, etc...ahhhh like you said...sweet times..what memories..thanks for sharing and reminding me of my Mom! Love ya!!

Mandy said...

How beautiful! Old memories and making new memories with my girls are my favorite part of this special season. Thanks for sharing the wonderful memories of your mother, how very special!