After leaving Knott's Berry Farm we were on our way to San Diego to meet up with Kacy. We arrived at our hotel on Harbor Island early afternoon and had to wait over an hour or so to check in. While we waited, we wandered along the path that lined the San Diego bayfront and took some pictures.
Bayfront park on Harbor Island, San Diego
Shortly after we got into our beautiful hotel room with a balcony that overlooked the Harbor, Kacy met up with us and the three of us drove over the bridge to Coronado for dinner. It was SO wonderful to spend the evening chatting with Kacy, seeing pictures of her and her family and bonding in a new and wonderful way.
Me and Kacy on Coronado Island
The next morning, Hubby and I head back over to Coronado to walk the white, sandy beach by the beautiful Hotel del Coronado before heading back north to the O.C.
Leaving Coronado, we drove up I-5 to La Jolla where we decided to drive up the coast to see the beach towns along the way. At Oceanside we needed to head back over to the I-5 and took that to our hotel in Dana Point. Checking in was a breeze here and our room was beautiful and comfy. Our balcony overlooked the campgrounds of Doheny Beach State Park and the shimmering Pacific Ocean.
View from hotel balcony
While Hubby worked, I spent my first day wandering around the Dana Point Harbor and Doheny Beach State Park. During the morning hours the marine fog was thick, but around 2pm it cleared up beautifully and I raced over to the beach to walk along the sand in the warm California sunshine.
On Wednesday, my friend, Doralee came and picked me up for a fun-filled day around the area. We started out at the San Luis Capistrano Mission where we were snap-happy tourists with our camera cards filling up faster than the speed of our camera shutters. It was really fun and a very bonding moment for us, especially as Doralee shared some of her photography tips with me. We particularly enjoyed the fountain at the Mission
Mission Fountain
Doralee and I at the Fountain
After the Mission, we stopped for lunch at a nice restaurant down the street. After lunch we wandered the town for a bit before heading to the Dana Point Harbor to the tide pools and then back to my hotel for a drink on the rooftop lounge. I can barely describe how fun this day was and I was so grateful for all Doralee did to make my stay here exciting.
At noon on Thursday, we pulled out of Dana Point and head to Anaheim and to Disneyland. Being from the East, we'd been to Walt Disney World in Florida many times, but never to Disneyland so I was like a little kid going to any Disney park for the first time. We were super excited that we were able to use the last day of our 5-day Park Hopper passes we had left over from our 2002 trip to WDW. How cool that Disneyland validated those, huh?! I'd done my research before we left!!
Being our first time to Disney's California Adventure Park, and having only a half day to explore, we made the most of our time in this new park. My favorite section was the Paradise Pier where we rode one of the very best roller coasters I'd ever been on ~ California Screamin'. Woo Hoo!! It takes off like a jet on the runway and doesn't stop until the last screech of the brakes at the end of the ride. EXHILARATING!
California Screamin' in Paradise Pier
After the rollercoaster we head over to Mickey's Fun Wheel were some of the ferris wheel cages swing, while others are stationary. We chose the swinging ones and oooooh my goodness! Let's just say I'm glad I didn't toss my cookies on the girl sitting across the cage from me. Whoa! Not so fun!
Mickey's Fun Wheel Cages
The other unique, amazing ride at this park was the Soaring Over California where a simulator "flies" you in over different areas of California as if hand-gliding. It was especially exciting considering we'd seen so many of the areas of California they highlighted.
We did pop over to the Magic Kingdom to take a quick look around and ride a few rides, before heading back over to California Adventure to await the 8:15pm showing of the World of Color nighttime spectacular. We sat in the bar section of Ariel's Grotto where we paid a cover charge but got great seats for the show as we waited for the sun to set and the show to start.
Paradise Pier at Sunset
World of Color was breathtakingly beautiful and well worth the wait! Disney movies played on a screen of water while fountains skyrocketed from jets in the lagoon in a kaleidescope of colors. Unbelievable!
Friday we had a full day of Disney fun, starting at the Magic Kingdom.
Sue at Sleeping Beauty's Castle
We rode most of the rides here before heading back to California Adventure to re-ride our favorite rides from the day before. In order to meet up with my online friends, Susan and Joanie in Downtown Disney for dinner, Hubby and I raced back to Magic Kingdom to hop the monorail over to the Rainforest Cafe.
While Doug grabbed our reserved table, I waited out front for the ladies to arrive. Hugs ensued when the ladies arrived outside our jungle-themed restaurant. I had met Susan in 2007 when we were last in Southern California, so it was wonderful to see her again. Joanie, my newest online friend was a sweetie and a pleasure to finally meet.
Joanie, Me and Susan
We thoroughly enjoyed our time together and it was so special to spend this last night in California with old and new friends! Thanks to all 4 of my special "California Girls" for taking time out of their busy lives to meet up with us!
After dinner, Hubby and I head back into the Magic Kingdom to finish off our trip with the fireworks and Fantasmic shows in Disneyland. Everything Disney does is beyond description and I have to wonder, why is it we call something "Mickey Mouse" in a derogatory sense when they are actually the masters of ingenuity and entertainment excellence? Just askin'!
So... there you have... FINALLY... the end of our trip! We got back home around midnight Saturday and Hubby was back out to the airport on Sunday for a week long trip to CT.
I am forever grateful to God for the opportunity to have a trip so full of fun and friendship. It really was a trip full of wonderful memories and treasured moments.



















3 comments:
G'day sweets, I am such a bad blogger these days but wanted to drop by and catch up. Wow, how special that you got to see those awesome girls whilst in Cali, how special that you got to do that. I'm so thrilled for you.
Hope you have a wonderful weekend. xoxoxo
Oh my goodness, those pictures are amazing! It is so beautiful there. I've never been but your pictures make me want to. =) Glad you have had fun and gotten to have some fun "girl time".
Wow Sue, what a wonderful trip you and Doug had, and how blessed you were to get to meet up with four of your friends, (our friends).
Hope you've had a great week and will have a lovely weekend.
Hugs,
Cindy
Post a Comment