As part of my quiet time I've been reading Priscilla Shirer's book "And We Are Changed" and the chapter I started reading today reminded me again of my rose bush. In this chapter entitled, "The Cost of Transformation", Priscilla was discussing the importance of pruning. She writes, "God, the Master Gardener, prunes areas of our lives so that we can grow. Pruning hurts, but it promotes new life."
Last year was the first year for my little rose bush in my front garden. I stuck it there, in the corner by the walkway, where the snow and salt gets piled up high in the bitter winter. I had been given this little miniature rose bush as a thank-you and I think it was originally intended for indoor enjoyment. If you've read my blog long or know me, you know that the only living thing in my house besides Hubby, The Nephew and myself are the dust bunnies that run wild under the beds and sofa. I can't keep a house plant alive longer than a month (if even) so I decided last spring to plant the rose in that spot in the front of the house, which at the time was the only garden spot in my entire yard that got "full sun" (that is before I had Hubby rip out the bush and make me a garden). I didn't really expect the poor bush to survive in that spot but I was at least giving it more of a fighting chance at survival than it had in the house.
As grace would have it, our winter was mild and my little bush survived, despite my lack of pruning it last Fall. As new buds began to sprout, Hubby grabbed the cutters and snipped that little bush back and to our surprise, and delight, rosebuds began to form. To be honest, I was expecting this little bush to moderately bloom considering it's pathetic plot of land it calls home and my lack of pre-winter preparation, but after snipping that baby back... VOILA...
We went from this at the start of the Spring...
to this... how my bush looks today
If you look closely you can see that where one rose has bloomed there are at least 3-4 more buds ready to pop up beside. I am blown away by it's beauty and growth.
I can't help but think that this is how God's pruning in my life works. He cuts back the dry, rotted areas of my life. Sure it hurts. Any cutting is. But just look at the beauty that can result! His ultimate goal in pruning us is so that we can be all that He's created us to be, just like the rose bush. As it is meant to be overflowing with beautiful roses, He longs for that in my life and yours. He wants our lives to be in full bloom of His will and purpose. He just needs us to hold still so He can trim us back and get off those dead parts that are stunting our growth.
Pruning may hurt for the day, but I for one am ready for Him to snip away in me so I can see the fruits of the Master Gardener's love, for after all that is His reason for pruning. It's because He loves me and wants me to fully bloom!
....
No letters of intent this week but here is this week's Friday Fill-ins followed by my Friday's Fave Five...
And...here we go!
1. The summer sun feels great.
2. The solution is found in Jesus.
3. Most nights it takes me forever to shut my mind off and fall asleep.
4. How about that sister of mine... she was honored as a Hometown Hero in her city today!
5. Making lemonade out of life's lemons is something I highly recommend!
6. Imagine Heaven... I can't wait!
7. And as for the weekend, tonight I'm looking forward to spending as much time with Hubby as I can because, tomorrow my plans include taking him to the airport for his business trip to Texas and then in the evening taking his Mom, sister & brother-in-law to the funeral viewing of Hubby's uncle who passed away earlier this week and Sunday, I want to worship God at church and come home and crash before Monday's funeral!
The gist of Susanne's meme "Friday's Fave Five" is to think back over the past week and blog about 5 favorite things from the week. It can be anything so here we go... in no particular order...
Number One:
Reading Priscilla Shirer's book "And We Are Changed"
Number Two:
Continuing with Beth Moore's "Jesus: 90 Days with the One and Only"
Number Three:
Glee Season Finale
Talk about a roller coaster of emotions!
Number Four:
Sipping some White Zinfandel/Chardonnay wine while watching Reality TV.
This I think is my favorite wine which we can only buy when we visit the U.S.
Number Five:
New Find... Golda's Kitchen
This amazing store I found in my City that made me feel like I'd arrived in cupcake making heaven! And yes, Amy... we WILL go together... SOON!!
Okay... your turn. Grab the links above and head on over to play these two fun memes for yourself!










2 comments:
What a beautiful post Sue! Your rose bush looks beautiful. Have a nice weekend. ((BIG HUGS))!!
The rose bush is gorgeous. But I really like the metaphor. So true. We spend so much energy maintaining the dead stuff that we don't have any energy for new growth.
Post a Comment