A few days later, while inside my kitchen, I looked out the patio window again and saw this...
... so I grabbed my camera, and through the glass door I snapped this picture. Hello little red friend!
As you know, last night was our ladies' banquet that I'd been working on with some of my peeps from Abide, and we had a wonderful evening... I'll post more about that later...
Our speaker was "M", one of our pastor's wives, and at one point in her talk, she referred to a song by Sara Groves, "This One Place". Here are the lyrics to that song:
I was about to give up and that's no lie
cardinal landed outside my window
threw his head back and sang a song
so beautiful it made me cry
took me back to a childhood tree
full of birds and dreams
from this one place I can't see very far
in this one moment I'm square in the dark
these are the things I will trust in my heart
you can see something else
something else
I don't know what's making me so afraid
tiny cloud over my head
heavy and grey with a hint of dread
I don't like to feel this way
take me back to a window seat
with clouds beneath my feet
from this one place I can't see very far
in this one moment I'm square in the dark
these are the things I will trust in my heart
you can see something else
something else
At the time I thought... Hmm... isn't that interesting.
This morning, while sitting out on the patio, spending some time with God, thinking and praying over some big decisions and changes ahead, particularly my new role as "facilitator" of our Abide group, what should appear in the tree above me?
Now I have to be upfront. I don't follow astrology and the whole "what's my sign" thing, but when I googled these birds, this was one sight that I found on Animal Symbolism of the Cardinal:
As we might guess, a large part of the animal symbolism of the cardinal comes from the brilliant red color of the males.
Even its common name is derived from the royal red vestments worn by Catholic cardinals.
This shock of red, especially against the stark backdrop of winter snow, is a magnificent sight. The male cardinal reminds us passion, warmth and vibrancy is available to us - even in under the cloak of winter's grey clouds.
Interestingly, the more bold and bright his color is, the more successful the cardinal will be at prolonging his lineage. Dull colored male cardinals are less likely to mate successfully than bright ones.
True to the fire of his color, the crimson cardinal has got some major spunk. He will aggressively defend his territory, and fight attackers with ferocity. Indeed, they have been known to fight ghost males (their reflections) in mirrors for hours on end.
Both male and female give us glorious songs. Along with peeps and pips and warbles, the tuned ear can also hear "cheer, cheer, cheer!" Very appropriate to the animal symbolism of cardinals, because they are a delight to both eyes and ears.
The cardinal makes a fantastic animal totem. It reminds us to hold ourselves with pride - not ego pride. Rather, the cardinal asks us to stand a little taller, be a bit more regal, step into our natural confidence as if we were born to lead with grace and nobility. (Reminded me of our recent Esther study in Abide)
Those who attract the cardinal as their totem are naturally energetic, love life, and happily help others where/when they can.
Call upon the cardinal when you are feeling low (especially if you have the winter blues). Also call on the cardinal when you need bolstering for an event you are nervous about - the cardinal is better than B-12 for giving energy and vitality to those who need it!
I also found this at WikiAnswers:
Christened the Christmas bird for its spectacular red color, the cardinal has become a symbol of the beauty and warmth of the holiday season. A glimpse of this brilliant bird brings cheer, hope and inspiration on a gray, wintry day. As natures reminder for us to focus on our faith, the cardinals scarlet plumage represents the blood of Christ shed for the redemption of mankind.
So... dare I ask... is God trying to speak to me through this little cardinal on my fence? Is He giving me a tangible reminder that He is with me and will give me everything I need for the scary task ahead of leading our church ladies in worship every Thursday morning next Fall? Is this little cardinal in my yard my holy cheerleader? I don't know, but that's how I'm going to take it and thank Jesus for His encouragement that "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!" (Phil. 4:13)
I'll blog about the banquet later tonight or tomorrow so stay tuned!




4 comments:
Cardinals are such sweet little birds. I wish we had them down here. It is interesting how it was in your yard and it's the only one you've seen. Maybe God IS speaking through it to you!
Blessings,
Andrea
That's awesome! :) A couple of quotes (don't know by whom) that I keep in mind when tempted to be overwhelmed:
What God ordains He provides (pays) for.
and
The will of God will not lead you where the providence of God cannot protect (or provide for) you!
You can do it and do great ... in HIS power!
Hi Sue! My Mom used to tell me what certain birds meant if they came to 'visit' you...it used to scare me. :-) About your cardinal though - that is amazing! I do think God speaks to us through things though. You are going to be a great leader Sue! So put your fears to rest. Have a lovely week. Hugs!
Oh how I love little reminders like that one when the Lord whispers to us. I am so glad he gave you that little "I'm here" right when you need it. Is it cold there? I've not seen a cardinal in weeks!
*total side note- I am reading So Long Insecurity Too. I am loving it! You?
Post a Comment