So... Hubby and I are, after 16 years, in need of a couple new appliances. Our original fridge and washing machine are showing signs of their age (like most of us if truth be told) and before they completely go "kaput" on us, we thought we'd start looking for deals to replace each one. In this week's flyer we say my semi-dream fridge on sale for a very good price. My "dream" fridge is a 25 cu ft French Door fridge with the water/ice on the outside but I KNOW that there is not enough width in my tiny, townhouse size kitchen to accommodate such a piece of mastery. Instead, we decided we'd get my dream fridge's younger sibling, the 19/20 cu ft model sans water/ice dispenser. We narrowed it down to the LG model which boasts that it fits into 30" w spaces and were all set to purchase ours until... I remeasured the height of our space and the height of the showroom model and don't ya know... we're 1/2" out. The fridge won't fit under the cupboard. Grrr.
The same store meanwhile has an AMAZING deal on a Maytag front load steam washer/dryer pair. (Think buy the washer, get the dryer free!) I've wanted a front load washer ever since my favorite pair of jacquard sheets got eaten by the agitator bar in my top load washer a few years ago. Now's my chance, I thought, considering this sweet deal. So, once again, with tape measure in hand I start measuring. The washer/dryer are each 27" wide. The question is, will they fit through the doorways and down the stairs, through the "S" curve maze to the laundry room.
Can I just admit here... math is not my strong suit. I pull the metal measuring tape across the door frame and come up with 26". TWENTY SIX INCHES!! You've got to be kidding me?! Do I live in a miniature doll house? Why can't we fit anything into this house?? Not a sectional sofa... not a french door fridge... and now a washer/dryer?? WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?!! At this point, I'm ready to put a "FOR SALE" sign on my house stat! Get me out of Barbie's house... this ain't no "dream home"!
Well, to make a long story short... apparently I forgot that 2 feet = 24" and I'm not exactly sure how I did it, but I somehow was adding wrong and the distance across the door frame is actually like 30" or so. DOH!! So... bless my soul... a washer/dryer WILL fit through the doorway, down the stairs, around the "S" maze and into my laundry room. I think we're going to buy the duo when Hubby gets home today... unless they're all sold out by now. Keep you posted!
And without further ado...here's this week's Random Dozen, thanks to Linda at 2nd Cup of Coffee. If you want to play along, be sure to head over to her site and get the questions for yourself!

1. How do you feel about "Gladiator" sandals, also called "Roman" or "Jesus" sandals? A fashion yea or nay? I kind of like the Roman sandals' look, although it depends on the style and whose wearing them and with what. I've had a few pairs so I guess I'm a "yea".
2. What is your favorite pizza? We have a place up here in Canada called "Boston Pizza" and they make delicious "gourmet" type pizzas. My favorite is "Tropical Chicken" which uses an alfredo sauce instead of marinara for the base, and has spicy chicken and pineapple on top. I also enjoy their Szechuan and Rustic Italian. If you wanna check out them out, go HERE
3. There are plans in the works to sell roughly 1,000 items fromStar Trek: The Experience in Las Vegas. This means you could buy Picard's chair for your family room. If not a Star Trek item, what prop, background, set, etc. from what TV or movie would you buy if you could?
[Ex: Hurley's "I Love my Shih tzu" shirt from LOST, the plantation home "Tara" from Gone With the Wind, or Tracy's tambourine from the Partridge Family.] Whoa... for a total movie/tv-aholic... this is too hard to answer. Nope... nothing is coming to me. Bummer!
4. Name a local food or restaurant that your area is famous for. There is a BBQ chicken place up here in Canada called "Swiss Chalet" and it's famous for it's chicken for one... and here's a tidbit of trivia... it's mentioned in a famous song by the Barenaked Ladies...One Week, although they use the french translation, Chalet Suisse.
5. What is your current favorite snack? Um... chocolate... Cadbury easter eggs and Caramilk eggs
6. Hypothetical: You are required to be a reality show contestant. Which show would you choose based on your probability of success? (You cannot choose "none.")
A. Dancing with the Stars
B. Biggest Loser
C. Survivor
It's a toss up between DWTS and BL... DWTS because I want to learn to dance it would be SO MUCH FUN (although brutally hard work) and BL because I need to lose weight, although Jillian and that other guy would make me bawl like a crybaby. I would never choose Survivor, although I've watched every single season of the show. I've always said, that if every person on the earth were to pool their money together, it still wouldn't be enough for me to want to do Survivor. Can you say "indoor girl!"?
7. On a scale of 1-10, with 1 being uninhabitable and 10 being cleanliness that meets the standards of OCD, how clean is your vehicle's interior? 9.9? The only thing "out of place" is a tissue box and auxiliary cord on the passenger seat... and my recyclable shopping bags are not all tied together in the back.
8. It doesn't feel like Spring until _________. The buds are bursting forth on the trees and the blossoms are poking their heads up in the garden.
9. Something that made you laugh really hard recently is ____. Baby Teddy's reaction to my blowing "motorboats" at him. (The video is in an earlier post). Never saw a baby's eyes go so big before. CRACKED ME UP!
10. Tell me about a goal you're working toward. Completing the 30-day challenge on my Wii EA Sports without missing a day (other than the designated "rest" days)... all in hopes of losing some weight so my clothes are loose again.
11. Share a thought-provoking or inspiring quote this week. Um... that would require brain power, of which I have none this week. Sorry :-S
12. Name one thing that you do as a parent that you absolutely know will make your kids happy. If you're not a parent, feel free to substitute "friend" or nomenclature that works for you. I have one friend who would be tickled pink if I called her before she called me. She tends to always be the one to call.
So... there you have it for another Wednesday. I dare you to give it a whirl this week!


4 comments:
What a fun post!! Learned so much about you!! I had no idea you were from Canada.. how did I miss that??
LOL!
I love your "blonde" moment!! So funny! I hope that your new washer and dryer fit:) You'll love the front load!
Hi Sue, I am not blonde, but I am bad at math and that is something I might do. I know enough math to know I can't afford the refrig I want. Chocolate eggs sound good. Hugs
I had to laugh because math is not my strenght either! lol
Hugs to you!
Post a Comment