Tuesday, February 16, 2010

I AM Canadian

Years ago the Molson's beer company had these great commercials, claiming pride in being Canadian.




Sure it was funny, catchy and ... well... on many accounts true, but I wasn't one of those Canadians.  I didn't wear my red and white proudly.  My whole life I wanted to be American.

I often said that I was a Southern Belle that somehow got lost on my way to the plantation.  Imagine my surprise and sadness when it was my sister who God placed south of the Mason-Dixon line a decade ago (although I greatly appreciate her there as I get my American fix at least once a year).  A few years ago I thought my dream of moving to U.S. soil would become reality when Hubby was hoping to get a transfer to the Atlanta area, but God shut that door.

I could probably pass the U.S. citizenship test more than the Canadian one.  I can name all 50 states and have a pretty good idea where they all go and might even be able to name their capital cities.  I follow U.S. politics and news way more than my own country.  I prefer a U.S. t.v. station over a home-grown one anyday... yet something changed last Friday night that took me totally by surprise.

Like the rest of the world, I turned my t.v. to watch the Olympic Opening Ceremonies from Vancouver, British Columbia.  Usually, I find the opening ceremonies long-winded and boring but right from the very start, with that guy snowboarding down a British Columbia mountain peak, through a flare-lit maple leaf into the BC Place auditorium,  I was captivated.  As the Natives danced their way to the center of the stage, Nelly & Brian lip-sycned (badly I might add), and Ashley MacIsaac fiddled his heart out something began to stir within me.  Sarah McLaughlin's sweet melody lofted through the air and Shane Koyczan recited a poem that captured Canadians to a "T" and my hometown pride (or homecountry pride... since BC is the opposite side of the country from my hometown) bubbled up.

By the time Rick Hansen, Catriona Le May Doan, Steve Nash, Nancy Greene, and Wayne Gretsky came out bearing torches to light the cauldron, I was a goner.  Tears damped my eyes and I finally understood my American friends and their overwhelming pride for their country.  And I liked it!


That pride has continued this week as I've watched Canadian Olympic history made when downhill mogul skier Alexandre Bilodeau won our first Canadian gold medal and first ever won on Canadian soil.  WOOHOO!  Today, we got our second gold when Maelle Ricker came back from a crash in her qualifying run to win the snowboard cross by a HUGE landslide.  We've gotten silver in women's moguls, men's snowboard cross and a bronze in women's long track speed skating.  Not bad so far!


I've never really been one to watch the Olympics this intensely before and heaven knows I am SO not an athlete, but something about these games being held "at home" makes it more appealing.  Go figure.  It could be because I've been to Vancouver and Whistler before.  It could be that new-found pride, but whatever it is I can honestly say proudly... My name is Sue and I AM CANADIAN!



1 comment:

Cindy said...

Good Morning Sue, isn't it amazing how something like that works. BTDT with things in my life too.
Not that it makes any difference, I don't think of you as Canadian, or anything else for that matter. I just think of you as friend. Friendship has no boundaries. :)

Love you sweet Sue!

Cindy