From the moment my feet touched Canadian soil on December 16th, I was off and running to prepare and celebrate Christmas with family and friends. It could be called the Christmas of Entertaining as we opened up the Nest to various parties throughout the holiday season with tonight's get together with friends finishing off the year right.
On Dec 22nd we hosted our small group Christmas party. It was a fun evening of finger foods, fellowship and a white elephant gift exchange that rather fizzled, as not many gifts were passed and exchanged or stolen from one guest to another. I ended up with some strange little mini knapsack sort of thing that I can only assume is for a bike, although I don't own one. Hmm. Hubby received an ornate little ceramic Christmas tree with angel decorations that we regifted on Christmas Day to his sister. Upon seeing the tree when she entered the house, she commented on how much she liked it. Great! Yours! I scurried down to the storage closet and before she could recite Santa's reindeer, the tree was packed and out the door with her & her hubby at the end of the night. Phew!
I'm ahead of myself though. Christmas Eve day I cleaned the Nest and set our table for Christmas Dinner... my first Christmas dinner hosting for Hubby's family! I was excited to pull out my good china from the new buffet and my Nutcracker name card holders. I had found little angel ornaments for the females at the table, and for the guys I had found pewtar ornaments at the Christian bookstore. I attached each ornament to gold ribbon "homemade" napkin rings. Gold crackers finished off the table. Here's a pic of my place at the table as well as an overview of the whole table.
We attended the 6:30pm Christmas Eve service at our church and then after picking up folding chairs at my mother-in-law's, we came home to finish wrapping gift baskets for hubby's family and Mom H's stocking while nibbling on finger foods and watching Alastair Sim's "A Christmas Carol". Here is our annual Christmas Eve pic:

Being a family of two, our Christmas mornings are much different than most of yours. Hubby tends to sleep in Christmas morning while this year, he was up early with me to do some pre-dinner prep (aka Clean and Stuff the Bird) before he went back to bed for awhile. Before that happened though we made our phone call down to FL to my Dad and Stepmom, wishing them a Merry Christmas and thanking them for their gift. Mid-morning was our annual phone call to NC to my Sister's where via speakerphone we exchange gifts that we've mailed to one another. It's always a good time to catch up with the USA niblings too as they are all home for the holidays. Stockings were opened after the phone call and after the reading of the Christmas Story:
Our "boys" even get in on the stockings at Christmas. Their little stockings though are usually filled with Peanuts/Snoopy memorabilia and/or gum and goodies that Daddy enjoys. They like to share with their Dad!
Around 2pm Hubby's family arrived. His older sister and her family were only able to visit for about an hour before heading to the in-laws for Christmas dinner. On these particular years, we enjoy Christmas dessert (Hubby's homemade trifle) before the turkey dinner ~ that way "T" can enjoy her brother's dessert and for the rest of us, we can savor dessert without our bellies totally full of stuffing, turkey and veggies. Don't you hate missing out on dessert after dinner because you're too stuffed? One year you should try dessert first... it's amazing! Even after the turkey you're not as stuffed from having dessert first! I dare ya... try it once. Walk on the wild side!
After they left it was time to get the finishing touches done on Christmas dinner. About an hour later than scheduled, everything was ready and dinner was served. Here I am lighting the Advent candles on the table centerpiece:
Everything turned out fabulously and everyone enjoyed the meal. After dinner they opened their gifts from us and we played a game of dominoes before they left around 9:30 pm. Then it was time, after a little clean up and rest, for hubby and I to open our gifts from one another. Hubby TOTALLY surprised me with a Sony Reader (ebook) which I downloaded Dicken's A Christmas Carol that night free on Google Books and read within a few days. I was also spoiled with some beautiful sweaters, CDs and DVDs... to name a few things. Hubby was surprised by the gifts I got him, especially as he hadn't really given me a good list to shop from this year. Most of his gifts were travel related for his numerous business trips he'll be taking in 2010. If he has to go... I want him comfortable! I also surprised him with some clothes that he would never have bought for himself, although he did enjoy them... I think.
On Boxing Day (Dec 26th), I was up early and started cooking... again. I wanted to get some meals underway to freeze for Krissy and Paul as their days as new parents of preemies are filled with visits to the hospital to visit their growing munchkins. Those little miracles are doing so well that it blows our minds at God's goodness and miraculous blessings. They could be home as early as next week! Paul updated their blog on Christmas with some adorable pics of the triplets in their Christmas outfits and with their new stuffed animal gifts from Mommy and Daddy! Go check them out ... click HERE to see them! I made Shepherd's pie and Beef Stew for them which they picked up on Sunday night... but again, I'm ahead of myself.
Boxing Day evening, Hubby and I went to my sister "C's" for Christmas dinner with her and her kids. She makes the most delicious homemade buns and her dinner always reminds me of dinners growing up. It reminds me that I really should have paid more attention in the kitchen when I was growing up. She actually mentioned that she thought it odd that at 45 yrs old I was making my first turkey dinner, but really, I didn't have to really make a big family dinner before then. Her's was delish though! YUM! It was great to see all her kids and meet/get to know two of the boys' girlfriends.
Sunday, Dec 27 was a very full day. Sunday was the party for my side of the family. I was up early getting some of the pre-party prep done before heading back to bed for awhile. My eyes felt like they were glued shut when I woke up. I had been so go-go-go for so long that I think my body was rebelling just a bit. Nevertheless, I dragged my butt out of bed and went to tidy up the house for the 22+ guests we were expecting at 6:30pm. I felt quite under control the entire time even when there were half a dozen people in my itty bitty kitchen and people were wall-to-wall in the living/dining rooms. Thankfully our finished basement could occupy some family as "overflow" and the guys enjoyed watching football down there while we "chicks" caught up with new Mommy Krissy and enjoyed watching my god-daughter, Little Miss "H" open her gifts from us and "Santa". It was wonderful to have my BFF "P", Little Miss H and her Daddy (who surprised us with his attendance) join in on the family Christmas! After all, P is part of my family considering we've been BFF's since 11 years old! Paul had brought a DVD he'd put together of Krissy's delivery day and of the triplets which we ladies enjoyed on the upstairs TV.

Little Miss H opening her gifts
As I reflect on the Holidays that have been, and the past year, I can't help but think of God's tremendous blessings. I could totally feel His Hand upon me as we opened our home to many this Christmas season. I felt such joy and peace as I co-ordinated, cleaned, hosted and hugged good-bye to each guest in our home. Everything fell into place perfectly and I want to stop and give Him the glory for that!
2009 seemed like a year that whipped by so fast that I can barely remember it. The year began with me feeling a struggle spiritually to maintain the mountain top feeling that was 2008. Although it "felt" different, today I feel just as close to God as I was on that mountain top a year ago. Perhaps watching God do a tremendous miracle in the lives of my newest great-niblings helped my faith in leaps and bounds. Beth Moore studies at church sure didn't hurt - hee hee. I tackled a great accomplishment in finishing my writing course and was able to bless others by going back to work for short term temporary jobs.
This past year, hubby and I saw God's faithfulness and blessings in our marriage, our home and our family. There were struggles and trials to be sure, but God sustained us and our families through the difficult days and He has proven once again what a Great and Mighty God He is. Faithful Friend. Merciful God. Lord of All.
Tonight we are headed to the movies with friends and then home for a fondue dinner as we ring in 2010. My hopes and prayers for the new year are to draw even closer to God and to be used of Him as He sees fit. I don't want to keep the status quo this new year, but dig in deeper to be even more the woman God made me to be. I want to use the talents and gifts God has given me to bring honor and glory to Him and to change lives. That is my prayer this New Year's Eve. What's yours?







2 comments:
What a busy but wonderful Christmas.
Happy New Year, Sue.
xox
Your Christmas table was so pretty! Good job being hostess! I'm sure the dinner was delish! Sounds like you had your fill of family and friends and food! What a perfect way to spend Christmas!
Post a Comment