
Little did I know that God would use this movie and a few other things to speak to me today.
Sitting in church this morning, the first time back to our church in over a month after company and travelling, I was saddened to read the bulletin and find that a woman hubby and I used to drive to church on occasion had passed away. The pastor spoke a little about her during the morning's announcements and my mind simultaneously thought of her and the movie last night. You see, "L" was someone a little "different" than the norm. She experienced a very difficult background and had many struggles in her life that at times I'm sure I would not have been able to overcome.
The service continued and Pastor "B" got up to speak. His sermon topic today: The Good Samaritan. Again, my mind went back to "L" and this time, a little shame came with those thoughts. Like the priest and Levite in the story of the Good Samaritan, I often willingly walk on by those who are more needy or sometimes "different". I'm not sure if it's pride, selfishness or just what, but many times when "L" would call for a ride to church, my first reaction was to either not pick up the phone... darn that caller display... or get hubby to answer the phone. Can I be honest here? Sometimes "different" makes me squeamish, uncomfortable, awkward if you will. A wall builds around me that I can't honestly explain and it took great effort to be even civil to this poor woman sometimes. I think it was mostly fear... fear of the spiritual issues she was dealing with and fear that I would be overwhelmed trying to help her. Fear of getting involved, similar to those men passing by the wounded man on the road.
Hubby... he is more like the Good Samaritan. I want to be more like my hubby. He is patient and kind, full of love and selfless with his time when reaching out to help others, even those society deems "different"... those "extra grace required" people, like "L". Hubby has a deeper grasp on Jesus' example of sacrificial love than I do! I can learn from watching him and taking his lead on this.
I felt conviction deeply as I sat in the pew today and I wanted to write about it today so that you, my dear friends can pray for me in this area of my life, as well as keep me accountable. It's easy in our society and even in our churches to get so wrapped up in our own lives that we neglect to reach outside of ourselves... out of our comfort zones... to reach out to those unlike us... those who need us... those who Jesus puts in our path for us to be "Jesus with skin on" to. I want to be a Good Samaritan to those around me, whether it's my best friend who needs help with her kids, or the person who may not be like me, but just as important and precious in Jesus' eyes. I mean seriously, what does "normal" mean anyways? Are any of us "normal"? Who sets that standard?
As I sit here writing this post I can't help but wonder, how many opportunities did I miss being "Jesus with skin on" to "L"? Who else have I missed out on ministering to? What am I going to do about it today and in the days/weeks/months to come? I can let today just melt away like all the other busy days of my life (often filled with eternally insignificant things) or I can ask God to open my spiritual eyes and step outside my comfort zone and selfishness and be the follower of Jesus I desire to be. Lord, give me the courage and strength to not miss another opportunity to be a Good Samaritan to those you put in my path!
Sitting in church this morning, the first time back to our church in over a month after company and travelling, I was saddened to read the bulletin and find that a woman hubby and I used to drive to church on occasion had passed away. The pastor spoke a little about her during the morning's announcements and my mind simultaneously thought of her and the movie last night. You see, "L" was someone a little "different" than the norm. She experienced a very difficult background and had many struggles in her life that at times I'm sure I would not have been able to overcome.
The service continued and Pastor "B" got up to speak. His sermon topic today: The Good Samaritan. Again, my mind went back to "L" and this time, a little shame came with those thoughts. Like the priest and Levite in the story of the Good Samaritan, I often willingly walk on by those who are more needy or sometimes "different". I'm not sure if it's pride, selfishness or just what, but many times when "L" would call for a ride to church, my first reaction was to either not pick up the phone... darn that caller display... or get hubby to answer the phone. Can I be honest here? Sometimes "different" makes me squeamish, uncomfortable, awkward if you will. A wall builds around me that I can't honestly explain and it took great effort to be even civil to this poor woman sometimes. I think it was mostly fear... fear of the spiritual issues she was dealing with and fear that I would be overwhelmed trying to help her. Fear of getting involved, similar to those men passing by the wounded man on the road.
Hubby... he is more like the Good Samaritan. I want to be more like my hubby. He is patient and kind, full of love and selfless with his time when reaching out to help others, even those society deems "different"... those "extra grace required" people, like "L". Hubby has a deeper grasp on Jesus' example of sacrificial love than I do! I can learn from watching him and taking his lead on this.
I felt conviction deeply as I sat in the pew today and I wanted to write about it today so that you, my dear friends can pray for me in this area of my life, as well as keep me accountable. It's easy in our society and even in our churches to get so wrapped up in our own lives that we neglect to reach outside of ourselves... out of our comfort zones... to reach out to those unlike us... those who need us... those who Jesus puts in our path for us to be "Jesus with skin on" to. I want to be a Good Samaritan to those around me, whether it's my best friend who needs help with her kids, or the person who may not be like me, but just as important and precious in Jesus' eyes. I mean seriously, what does "normal" mean anyways? Are any of us "normal"? Who sets that standard?
As I sit here writing this post I can't help but wonder, how many opportunities did I miss being "Jesus with skin on" to "L"? Who else have I missed out on ministering to? What am I going to do about it today and in the days/weeks/months to come? I can let today just melt away like all the other busy days of my life (often filled with eternally insignificant things) or I can ask God to open my spiritual eyes and step outside my comfort zone and selfishness and be the follower of Jesus I desire to be. Lord, give me the courage and strength to not miss another opportunity to be a Good Samaritan to those you put in my path!


6 comments:
Sue, we've all been there. I'm ashamed to admit that I too often turn away for fear of being overwhelmed, pulled into or exposed by other people's issues. I commend you for admitting to it and being ready to change.
I'm sorry about L's death. Thank you for this reminder to BE different and not to shy away from people unlike ourselves.
A very good post here! I like what Sarah said - we all have been there. Your post is a sweet reminder to us all that we do need to be "Christ in the Flesh", for those who do not know Him and for our fellow Christians. Isn't God good about "using all for the good"? "L"s death used; that movie used...nothing is ever wasted!
HI Sue interesting thoughts and great insight to your self about the lady that passed while you were away. I often think about all the Saints that Saints ignore. It makes me think of the bible verse to pray for all the Saints. I think God wanted us to stick together. Your husband sounds very very sweet. I am kinda for the underdog myself. But I also like to be excepted by people too. Doesn't seem like I am these days. I've prayed about it, now am happy for whomever comes my way.
Perhaps you did minister in some way you don't realize. I am sure she enjoyed your company on the rides to church, I can imagine you talking up a storm on some topic, as you happily ride down the road. Have a great weekend sweets. big hugs
This is a great reminder. Loving the lovely is so easy to do, loving the unlovely takes a life surrendered to God!
Your post here is one I can deeply relate to, and probably most people can. We (me certainly) have lots of room for improvement in dealing with the unlovely, the different and people who need help.
This post is a blessing to remind me to reach out more.
And now I am heading out to visit a homebound person, as a volunteer.
Still, I want to be open to helping.
Been thinking on these very things lately, it's so easy to do "other things" but God will keep giving us opportunities - may we learn to take them with joy.
Post a Comment