Thursday, July 16, 2009

Obsession

Well, first off... glad I'm not alone in the "what were they thinking?" post from the other day. While wandering around the world wide web the past two days (why I'll explain in a few minutes), I came across an article talking about Bruce Jenner and his displeasure with his plastic surgery job.

I shake my head! DismayTsk tsk... when will we learn that God doesn't goof up on the way He made us! But enough about all that.

I have other things on my mind these days. I wish it was more godly and virtuous and I could tell you that I am spending 12 hours a day with my Bible in my lap, pouring over insight into making the world a better place but unfortunately I can't... at least not today. No... I am a madwoman. I'm obsessed by a t.v show and I can't stop sleuthing, searching, re-watching past episodes. SecretIt's actually sick and I can't believe I'm actually telling you about it but here goes...

I am a hopeless romantic and horribly addicted to The Bachelor/Bachelorette series on ABC. Bouquet I have been since the first episode although some seasons I have skipped out on. After so many failed attempts at finding "the one" a hopeless romantic can only take watching so many train wrecks. But this season, I watched with great anticipation as my favorite contestant from last season's The Bachelor, fellow Canadian Jillian Harris, became the one seeking love. Jillian was given 25 original suitors and then 5 "extra" hunks came to join her. This spunky cutie had the cream of the crop of men to choose from this year and one in particular caught my eye from the start. He wasn't shown as a forerunner much at the start, but Reid, the quiet, quirky, witty and handsome realtor from Philly not only caught my attention, but more importantly Jillian's. Sure there is Ed, the Microsoft guy from Chicago that left and came back (which I'm SURE the producers had a huge hand in since I find it remarkable that he is the only one with outside contact getting a call from his boss that his job is on the line... ya sure!)... and there's Kiptyn, the "perfect" hunk with the washboard abs from San Diego... but Reid... Sigh... when he and Jillian were on the screen sparks flew like the 4th of July. Fireworks

Skeptics might think it impossible for people to fall in love and get engaged in 6 weeks, especially while dating other people. I for one totally think it's possible (although maybe more difficult with cameras in your face and producers "scripting" a storyline for entertainment purposes). My hubby and I had a bit of an interesting start when after our first date he started dating another woman. Even after our first date I KNEW he was "the one" and went so far as to pick my engagement ring while he was dating the other woman. I knew he'd be back so I let him go and "get her out of his system" as I encouraged him to do that night he told me. They dated for a few weeks and then after God intervened miraculously, they broke up and we began dating. Less than one month after that, hubby (who had met my parents for 10 minutes only 3 weeks before) asked my Dad for my hand and 8 months later we were married. So I for one believe that it "can" happen as it did for Trista and Ryan on the first Bachelorette show.

Back to Jillian and her quest. As I watched over the past few weeks I saw a love story developing between her and Reid Couples(in fact I saw it right from the get go before other people even noticed him). The way they looked at one another, the comfort with which they talked, the laughter and playfulness... it all seemed as it should be when you've found your soulmate. But then on Monday's episode, because Reid couldn't verbalize the actual "L" word and vow to propose in a week, Jilly let him go, even though she looked like she was heartbroken beyond belief. Broken HeartI think I was just as heartbroken as Jillian when Reid got into the limo to begin his "diary of the departed" (which I might add seemed to hint that he'd come back to profess his love which he felt but couldn't say).

Here's where the obsession comes in. In other seasons, such as last year when Jason let Jillian go at #3 when I thought they had the real thing (chemistry) I shrugged it off as his loss - big deal. But this year... I can't let it go. I am obsessing over the message boards, watching interviews Jillian's given for clues, rewatching every episode on YouTube... it's pathetic really! What is wrong with me?? lol

As I've been pondering this sick addiction I have, (not to mention sharing all this with hubby at naseum) I think it boils down to the fact that having found my soulmate in my hubby and knowing you can do so in a short amount of time at 30 yrs old (which both Jillian and Reid are), I crave for others to find their soulmates too. So when I saw Jillian (again who I'm 100% routing for to find real love as she is NOT like the other people who come on the show to make it in Hollywood) and Reid together, I saw that soulmate connection and I desperately want them to have a happy ending like hubby and me. It's like I can't accept Jillian with anyone BUT Reid. (Like I have a say in her love life but you can see where the obsession part is really shining through huh?)

What makes it even worse is that the previews and rumors out there are that someone Jillian found difficult to let go (Reid) comes back to propose so my hopes in a happy ending are still alive which fans the flames of my obsession. However will I make it to July 27th's finale sane (or without watching all 9 episodes 10 more times)?

There you have it! Don't judge me! Stop laughing and rolling your eyes! I'm sick! I need help! Pray for me... please! Tongue Out

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my friend, I can't watch this show anymore. I loved it in the beginning, but something in me snapped and that was it for me. I hope that this woman finds the guy of her dreams. I believe that it can be done if it's the Lord's will, but I agree, in front of cameras would be pretty hard! Fortunately your addiction will end in a few weeks. ; )

Denise said...

Urmmmm, yeah... right.... urmmmm, yes, I think I'll pray ;-)
I really don't care for these shows so I can't say I understand how you feel. So urmmm, yeah... urmmmm, I'll pray!

LOL :-)
And ya know I love ya
xxxxx

Genny said...

I found my soulmate too...at 14 years old. And, the funny thing is, I even knew it back then. It can happen! :)

Cindy said...

Sue, you silly girl. :) I love your honesty in this post. I was terribly addicted to this show in the beginning when it first aired and the last several seasons I have gotten back into it. I hated to see her let Reid go, but my guy from the start was "Jake". Loved Jake and hoping he will be the next bachlor. I agree that Reid and Jillian had "sparks" unlike the ones she has with the other guys. I hadn't heard the rumors, so lets hope he comes back and we get our happy ending. :)
this has been a wild season to say the least.
Hugs sweetie.

Cindy

Sarah Wylie said...

Sue, the more I get to "know" you, the more alike I think we are! I LOVE you and your husband's story - a little unconventional but clearly it has a happy ending. And isn't that all that matters?

Of course I won't judge your Bachelorette addiction. And my heart broke a little when Reid was sent home (mind you this was only the third full episode of the show I'd watched). I thought he was perfect for her, even if he couldn't voice his thoughts.

Maybe the finale will include a switch with whoever she picks for Reid? I'd be so behind that! LOL.

Abby said...

I watched the bachelor/ette for the few first seasons, but gave up after getting emotionally involved and then being let down. So I have not been watching this season. I feel like I'm missing out though because everyone keeps talking about it on twitter and blogs! (BTW we have been watching Superstars - it's good but the whole T.O. thing with him leaving was crap!)

Tracey said...

Hi Sue! I love your post, lol! I just have gotten into this show at all. It just seems weird to me that someone has to go on TV to find love and it seems fake to me, but that's just my opinion. Hope you have a terrific weekend! ((BIG HUGS))
P.S. Kalli and I had a great time even though the movie was a huge tear jerker!