Friday, June 26, 2009

Pet Peeve

Just a quick little Pepper tale or two today.

Here's a question for you dog people... why is it that some people (not all mind you) with large dogs find it necessary to bring their big dog up to the little dog (aka Pepper) while on a walk (or in my backyard). Usually the dog towers over poor little Pepper and either barks or lunges at him, scaring the poop right out of him (not literally but may as well).

I've already told you about my neighbor's crazy dog lunging at poor Pepper on Monday. Well yesterday we went for a long walk in the park by our home. As we entered the park, a lady with a Keeshond,


has her dog on the far side of the path while the dog does its business. Let me just interject here that my only contact with this breed of dog in the past was when my sister and her family, not once but twice tried to have this type of dog as their family pet. Again, not meaning to offend those who may have this breed, but my sister's dogs were nuts! They were the most unruly, undisciplined and out of control puppies I had ever seen in my life. I HATED their dogs with a passion so needless to say, walking into the park to find a Keeshond didn't sit well with me from the start. Back to my story...

As we head along the path the lady all of a sudden starts to move her Keeshond over towards us on the path. The dog had this look like Pepper was an appetizer to lunch and I quickly tightened my grip. I quickly informing the lady that I'm puppy sitting and "my" dog isn't used to being around other dogs and then I drag Pepper away from this dog. A little farther down the path I turn around only to find the lady following us along the trail which caused me to wonder, Did she just come over to us to "make friends" and if so, don't people wait until you show signs of wanting to make friends? I am so new to this world of doggieville and I don't quite understand the sub-culture at this point, obviously! Fortunately, we made it home from our walk without Pepper being eaten by a big dog!

The rest of the day was uneventful for Pepper as his human "sister, my niece, "S" came to visit and we went out to dinner and a movie, leaving Pepper safely in his gated room in my kitchen. In the evening, "S" and I met up with my sister, Pepper's Mom, on Skype where we caught up on the happenings up in the Yukon. We put Pepper on my lap and started pointing to the computer screen and my sister starting talking to her puppy which TOTALLY confused the little guy. He dashed off barking towards the front door, completely unaware where his mommy's voice was coming from. It was really funny! He quickly bored of that but we were entertained chatting for almost an hour via computer on Skype.

So I've survived my first week of doggydom and have enjoyed it much more than I ever imagined. Still not ready to run out to the nearest breeder or shelter to pick up my own furry friend, but I'm not as terrified of the thought. We are not certain how a dog would fit into our lifestyle right now, but we at least know that we have what it takes to give a furry friend the love and care they would need! And for now, I'll just savor the last 4 days I have with the furry nephew!




6 comments:

Sarah Wylie said...

Sue, I was five when I last had a dog. So beyond sitting on dogs, pulling their tails (I know I was horrible!) and trying to eat their food, I wouldn't know the first thing about one;)
But I'm glad you're having fun with Pepper!

Denise said...

Well I only ever take Boo around the neighborhood (not in parks) and anyone with a dog usually just walks past and says a quick hi. We never stop to let each others dogs sniff at each other, which Boo would hate as he is scared of other dogs!
Glad you've been enjoying him though.
Huggles
xxxxx

HoodMama said...

Ok, that cracks me up! I have a kind of big dog and I do exactly the opposite. I move my dog away from smaller dogs because she gets scared. So much for a guard dog. Too funny!

Abby said...

Does pepper make a food of himself barking at the big dogs or does he just cower? Coda makes a fool of himself and then I get embarrassed, so I don't take him to dog parks... plus i'm afraid that he'd bite a dog...he thinks he's tough like that. I really don't know where it comes from!

I think you're ready for a dog. It's so nice to come home to a wagging tail every day! BTW, you don't have to have a fenced in yard for a small dog. I don't have one. He uses a leash to go potty and if he needs to burn energy we walk him down the street:).

Now you have no excuses:) HA! Hope you have a great weekend!

~Pam~ said...

Hi Sue,
Not much help here...our dog, Patch doesn't like any other dogs and thinks he can beat them all up, no matter how big. SO, we don't take him walking around other dogs. On the other hand Patch LOVES people and has never showed a bit of aggression toward a human. hmmm
Dan and I are both big dog lovers, it is hard to imagine our life without one.
Anyway, enjoy your babysitting/puppysitting.

love you!
xoxo

Megan said...

Chewy thinks that all dogs are his friend so he just wants to play with all of them. I try to keep him on a short leash when we're out walking, but at the dog park (beach - off-leash) I can't totally help where he goes. He's getting better at listening but sometimes he has a mind of his own and he'll just run up to people and their dogs and sniff butts with them. lol If I had a little dog, I would definitely be slightly irritated, but you can't always control them, unfortunately.