Friday, May 22, 2009

The Pitfalls of my Internal Clock

My internal schedule feels totally out of whack lately. I tend to be a night "hawk" by nature, in fact my parents were both late night lovers, as are many of my 5 siblings. I come by it honestly, but it really can be rather bothersome. You see, first of all, hubby goes to bed earlier... sometimes around 10pm so when I crawl into bed I often times wake him either with the typical bathroom noises of washing my face and brushing my teeth (or flushing the toilet). Other times, I get in bed and become "Chatty Cathy" filling him in on results of one of our favorite reality shows. Then there are the nights where... well... you know (wink wink)

Back to my internal clock. So, this week I've been really bad at getting to bed earlier than say 12:30pm. I generally get a second wind around 9 and that's without the help of caffeine. Then on weekends, I can stay up til the wee hours of the morning either on my computer or watching a movie. The worst part of this though is that I HATE getting up late because my day seems to whoosh away.

I never would have been called an "early riser" well... ever, but in the past couple years (as my years keep climbing up that hill... or are they starting to slowly make their descent downwards?) I find that I enjoy getting up earlier... between 7 & 8 am. When I'm up then I get so much more done after I open my emails and check out my regular stops on the internet each a.m. This week though, I've been lucky to be awake by 8:30 and even then, I'm still trying to pry open my eyelids from the goop that's got them locked shut. I realize I could set an alarm clock and sometimes I do, but some days I just need to let my natural body clock set the tone for the day ... or else those old cranky pants magically appear once again!

Anyhoo... all THAT to say... today was a late morning start. I first peeked my eyes open at around 9am. I did get out of bed, make my tea, open my laptop to engage in "vital" communication with the internet world and before I knew it, the clock said NOON and hubby was calling for our lunchtime chat. I sheepishly relayed my day's events (which weren't much to show for at the time), said good-bye and closed the lid of my laptop. I had Crack Brownies to make!

Our ladies' group at church is having our annual banquet tomorrow night so I've offered to donate a pan of Crack Brownies to our Silent Auction. The money from the auction supports the daycamp our church runs each summer for community kids who can't afford summer camp. I'm also, as a separate item, offering the "Top Secret" Crack Brownie recipe in the hopes that more money can be raised.

I did get a walk/run in on the treadmill this afternoon so I didn't feel completely slothful today but I did feel very guilty when hubby arrived home from a hard day at work and had to load dirt into our flower beds from the big heap of dirt our complex leaves for all the townhouse owners each Spring. I could never lug it myself but I felt so bad that I was inside with wet hair (from my shower) while he was out there doing the dirt thing. He's such a saint, I swear!

After my hair was flat-ironed (and I looked human again) and hubby was showered and dressed we were off to see Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian at the IMAX theater. Great movie... VERY funny... but not necessary to see it in IMAX. Can't wait for the DVD! I LOVED the first one and this one was just as funny if not maybe a little more. Amy Adams was adorable, as usual. Owen Wilson and Hank Azaria steal the show they are so humorous! It was wonderfully creative and if you enjoy history and/or have been to either the Museum of Natural History in NYC or the Smithsonian in DC you'll enjoy how they bring the characters to life! I may just have to go back to the theater and see it again!

6 comments:

Cindy said...

Hey Sue...for me I have always been a early riser. Sometimes earlier than I even want too..but am enjoying being able to stay up later, and even have some cuddle time with hubby instead of having to get to sleep because of a early day the next day. For me, I know when I am up early I can get more done in my day.
Well I wanted to stop in and say hello, and hope you have a great weekend.
Hugs sweetie.

Karen said...

Okay, I just have to ask... what in the world are "crack brownies?" Since you made them for church, I know they aren't what they sound like, but I've never heard of them.

I'm a morning person in a night owl's body. I'm soooo much more productive in the morning hours, but I hate hate hate getting up early. I've tried going to bed earlier, but my body just isn't wired to fall to sleep before midnight. My body is constantly battling itself.

We're heading out to see Night at the Museum this weekend - can't wait.

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

I'm an early riser. I love the quietness of the mornings when the birds begin to chirp. If I am up after 10, I am up late!

I'm glad Karen asked about the crack brownies. I am curious, too!!

Oh, mornings are fun, too...*nudge nudge wink wink*

Country Mouse, City Mouse said...

I am a lot like you. Before kids I could sleep the morning away. I always felt I slept better then anyway. Now, I am up at 7:45 every morning. It is hard to drag myself out of bed, I must admit.

Kate @ A Simple Walk said...

Oh Sue, I am cracking up! I am just like you! I am such a night owl, but I really, really want to be a morning person too. I love the thought of being up to watch the sunrise and getting a jump on my day. But staying up until 2am most nights tends to not make for very early mornings. Honestly, if I could, I think afternoons would be my choice of sleeping time. :)

I definitely know what you mean about a late start to the day messing up the whole day. I woke up just 40 minutes later than usual (which is 8:30) one day this past week and I was playing catch up literally all day long.

By the way, thanks for your thoughts on Night At The Museum. My oldest is so excited to see this. And my husband and I are too. Unfortunately, I think we might have to wait until it's out on DVD so the whole family can watch it together.

Hope you are having a fabulous weekend!

Abby said...

I can't wait to see that movie!