This morning, hubby and I head out at 9:30 am to hit the "Auto Mall" near our home. Our 2000 Mazda Protege has over 212000KM on it and we know it's time to start looking for it's replacement. Off we went, prepared to tackle the wonderful world of negotiating a deal with the car salesmen (and women).
Our first stop was Honda where I test drove a 2009 Honda Civic. I drive a 2003 Honda Civic so it was very familiar behind the wheel of this car. This model has a few more bells and whistles and we enjoyed the ride. About 90 minutes later, we leave and head next door to Mazda with our Honda pamphlets and idea of cost, trade-in, etc in our head (and on hubby's paper of figures).
At Mazda we try the Protege's replacement the Mazda 3. It feels smaller and I actually chuckle as I watch hubby try and squeeze out of the back seat. Okay. Maybe not the Mazda 3.
We actually wanted to look at the Mazda 6, the larger vehicle, because we've talked in the past about wanting to take that one step up so we have more space when we travel back and forth from Canada to the U.S. to visit family. I test drove the Mazda 6 and quite liked it. Huge trunk space (for all those times we try & help the U.S. economy with our purchases), and the inside was very spacious, yet it didn't feel too big. My only complaint with this car was for the size of side-view mirrors, there didn't seem to be as much actual MIRROR as the Honda. There was lots of fancy plastic AROUND the mirror, but the mirror itself seemed small in proportion. Again, we got some fancy figuring done by the salesman and while he went and talked with his manager, we head outside for a free hamburger/hotdog at the BBQ outside the dealership. Hubby and the salesman chatted more and then we head across the street to Toyota.
I might interject at this point that we have now previously owned all 3 in the past/present. I had a 1990 Toyota Corrolla when we got married which was replaced by the 2000 Protege. Then in 2003 we got my Civic. We are Japanese car owners - I always have been - and always will be most likely. Both Toyota and Honda are made right here in Ontario not more than 2 hours from us in either direction.
At Toyota we intended to test drive the Camry, but after a look inside, decided that it didn't have some of the features (like the 60/40 fold-down seats) that we wanted. Instead, we took a look at the Rav4 SUV and the saleswoman, Michelle, had me take one out for a spin. We really liked the roominess of the Rav4 and all the storage space. It was a great ride but a little more than the other two choices. Again, we sat and hubby did some fancy figuring before we left with our head swimming at the possibilities.
At each dealership as they tried to get us to sign on the dotted line hubby explained that we were on a fact-finding mission today and that we needed to take our research info home and pray about which vehicle God wants us to purchase. Not sure what they thought of that but that's the best we could do today. We're also not sure yet which of the 3 vehicles we will end up with but we do know that whichever we go with we'll enjoy for God-willing a good long time!
It was 3:30 by the time we walked back in the door. Our ladies' group banquet was starting at 5:30 and I had just enough time to check email, paint my toenails, and get ready. I was out the door by 5:20 with my pan of Crack Brownies
(you can read more about them and find the recipe HERE) and the recipe card that I was donating for the Silent Auction.
There were over 80 ladies at the banquet and it was a great evening. My friend, A did a sensational job of sharing what God's been doing in her life the past few years through some huge trials she's endured and the Silent Auction brought in a total of $1600 for the day camp our church runs in the summer for kids in the community who can't afford to go to camp. The Crack Brownies went for $50 and the recipe I think went for at least $25 (didn't see the final total on that). I bid on a basket full of bath goodies from La Senza and won.




7 comments:
Good Morning Sue, sounds like you had a fun day at the dealerships yesterday. I hate negotiating for a car. But I am sure that God will lead you in the purchase.
I am going to try these brownies. :)
Congrats on your win at the silent auction. Way to go girl!
Hope you all have a blessed today.
Hugs!
Hello Susie, what a busy day you had, we have a Mazda Tribute & love it. It's one year old so no need to shop for cars for some time. I hope your decision comes easily. What a great basket of bath goodies, congratulations on winning it! Have a great Sunday, hugs
Hi Sue, We have a Toyota Highlander and it is the one I picked you up in when you were here. I love it. It rides likes a car and it has the 60/40 you mentioned. Both seats go forward too and they both semi recline. It has taken us on several trips and we have never had any problems with it. Have a great Sunday! Hugs
I think praying about the car you are going to purchase makes a lot of sense. And good witness to the people at the dealership when your hubby told them that was your plan!
WOW! the brownies look wonderful, and worth all $50! Love the basket you won too. It looks like it's full of fun stuff.
Hi Sue! Praying that God leads you in your car purchase! Congrats on the basket win!
To answer your question...I am probably about 2 to 2 1/2 hours away from the outlet mall. I would love to meet you too, but the 1st week of June is out. Bella has her staples taken out that week and my FIL is having surgery again to remove a tumor from his lung (not sure which lung). One of these days though, we will meet! ((BIG HUGS))
Hi Sue! Good luck on finding the right car for you. It's a very good time to be buying! For what it's worth, our friends have a Toyota RAV and love it. They have a Visla (dog) and there's plenty of room for him in the back. Happy Memorial Day! (((Hugz)))
I have to say that I think one of the worst things in life is car dealerships and pushy sales people! My hubby has a mazda 6 and he loves it. When we got married I drove a civic and his mazda seemed so much bigger than my car so we always drove it on car trips. Now we drive my car on trips because the seats are so much more comfortable and we have more space. I drive a Toyota Highlander and I LOVE it! I highly recommend it! I will always buy Japanese cars too. They are just made so much better!
Happy car hunting!
Post a Comment