Saturday, May 2, 2009

Don't Waste Your Money!

After today's bridal shower (which turned out to be a huge success - more on that a little later), Hubby and I decided to head to the movies to see the new release of the Matthew McConaughey and Jennifer Garner's "Ghosts of Girlfriends Past". We had been looking forward to this release for months. The trailers looked funny and who doesn't love a twist on the old Charles Dickens' "Scrooge" story?

Well... my official review on this movie is... save your money! Dickens should be rolling over in his grave at this "remake" of his classic tale. Parts of the movie were sweet and charming and funny. Most of it was crass, vulgar and in poor taste. The opening scene rather sets the stage for what's to come but there is small fragments of redemption at the end of the film.

So my question is, who writes this trash? I want to know how someone can take a great story as Dickens' wrote, and turn it into this train wreck of a film. Even Bill Murray's "Scrooged" was contemporary without being trashy.

I am so saddened by the lack of moral talent out there in some of the screenwriting. Not all mind you, but so much of it seems as if it's written by pre-pubescent teenage boys with fart jokes and slutty girls. And the whole casual sex is the ONLY way to live life... what the heck?? Has no one heard of sexually transmitted diseases in these movies??

Okay. Enough said. Seriously, I don't recommend this movie if you want a nice, wholesome evening of entertainment and with the price of a movie ticket these days... don't waste your money!

On the brighter side of things though, the bridal shower I was co-hosting today at our church went really well. We had lots of sweets, fruit and punch to snack on while the bride, J, opened her gifts. It was a very informal shower so while she opened her gifts, some women were at the "craft table" where they were making a little scrapbook page with a favorite Bible verse and/or marriage advice to share with the soon to be married couple. The whole afternoon went off without a hitch, even with a major highway closed in the area and horrendous traffic. Everyone still made it on time and seemed to really enjoy themselves! I think that's the last "big thing" on my agenda for a while - thank the good Lord above!

Oh, and one other thing I did today was stop in and visit the other couple from our small group who had a baby boy 16 days ago. Yes! Another baby! A & I stopped in on our way to the shower to get a peek at the new little Mr and his folks. He was one of the babies we held the triple baby shower for last month. Now we've come full circle and come June 13 all our little couples in small group will be settled into their new lives as either new parents or newlyweds! Our job is complete! Phew!

9 comments:

Country Mouse, City Mouse said...

Glad the shower went so well. Hope your weekend is going well, enjoying this beautiful day!!

Abby said...

My parents went to see that movie this past weekend and said the exact same thing that you did! My mom said she felt guilty for spending the money on it and wanted to leave the movie early.

Anonymous said...

You are having babies being born and I am getting ready for multiple weddings! Tis the season. ; )

I wondered about that movie. Very disappointing to hear that it was not family friendly. Did you ever see 13 Going on 30? That was cute, romantic and clean!

Denise said...

I didn't think I'd like that movie, now I know I wouldn't, thanks for the review ;-)

blessedmomof3 said...

Haven't heard of that movie, but I will take your word for it and not bother seeing it. We don't really get out and see movies much anyway.

Wishing you a beautiful Monday!

Elizabeth said...

Hi Sue, I had no idea about the movie, I was thinking of checking it on Netflix when it would be in DVD but it doesn't sound worth it at all. Glad the bridal shower has been a success. Hugs

Shanda said...

I had been thinking I wanted to see that movie; but the reviews (even from the secular reviewers) were horrible! I appreciated your additional input - we WILL save our money. Hoping "UP" will be as cute as it seems!

Glad your bridal shower was a success and that you had the joy of welcoming another little one!

Tammy said...

I'm so glad things are finally quieting down for you sweetie. Now we can spend some time 'playing' online! Missed you and love you bunches! xo

Tracey said...

Hi Sue! You have been very busy with showers! Sorry the movie was what you expected. Hope you have had a great day! ((BIG HUGS))