I have been disturbed today and I can't seem to shake it. Actually, this feeling has been lingering for a while now and I'm just now beginning to formulate it into words.
First off I think I have to start by saying... I'm a celebrity news junkie. I truly need a 12-step program for my fascination with most things "celebrity". I liken it to the same rubber-neck reaction when driving past a car accident on the highway... you just can't not look!
So it is with my addiction to People.com, ETonline, Reality Blurred website and various message boards and fan sites for all my favorite shows. Friends come to me for entertainment news because they know I'm "in the know". I wish I weren't that interested, but I am. I hate that about myself but for now it is my vice but I think I want to be healed of this once and for all.
Which brings me to the subject of my title above. In my "quest for knowledge", I was surfing around today and saw that Kate Gosselin is "thinking about" ended her marriage to her "Jon and Kate Plus 8", hubby, Jon Gosselin after rumors have been racing around the media outlets of an "alleged" affair that Jon denies. I have only watched this show a couple times and couldn't get into it because Kate perpetually sounded to me like somone with a bad case of PMS. I felt for Jon having to hear her nag and complain all the live long day. Granted, from what I hear he is a bit of a lazy so & so ~ perhaps her nagging is a little justified... not to mention the small army of children she is parenting! Anyhoo... that's not my point.
My point I guess is this. Jon and Kate profess to be Christians and have made that part of their life public. I am in no way wanting to judge them because we all know how difficult it is in this world to live out our faith every day to the glory of God. What I am struggling with deals more with the whole concept of believers seeking out "celebrity", proclaiming their faith and beliefs to the world and then doing the exact opposite things that the Bible professes. I'm not just picking on Jon and Kate here. There are so many others I think of: Kathie Lee Gifford, Hunter Tylo of "The Bold and Beautiful", Clay Aiken, the entire Simpson family (Jessica, Ashley, Joe...) to name a few. Brittany Spears I think once proclaimed to be Christian, didn't she? I know there are others but my mind can't think of them right now.
As I was watching American Idol tonight I started thinking about Danny Gokey and what this new found fame will do to his testimony. Will he fall the way of the others who pursue fame more than faith? Or will he take the road of Mandissa, from Season 5, whose singing career is focused on glorifying God as she tours often with Bible teacher and speaker, Beth Moore.
At least twice the Bible warns us that "No one can serve two masters. For you will hate one and love the other; you will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money." (Matt 6:24 & Luke 16:13) I'm not even a celebrity and I struggle with this. I can't imagine having people fawning all over me, throwing big chunks of moola at me. That can really mess you up I would think!
All this to say my heart is heavy lately. I feel like our Christian values and devotion to God is going to "hell in a hand basket". We are so far from what God's design was for His children and I'm not sure if it's conviction or what, but I can tell that I need to get more focused on praying for these "celebrities" and checking my own passions and pursuits to make sure I don't fall into the same sorts of traps (albeit on much lesser and much less public scale).
On a positive side of all this though... I found the site of Carrie Underwood's new boyfriend, hockey player Mike Fisher. Here is a "celebrity" that is "not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ" (Rom 1:16) and shares his testimony on his website and even with the Hockey Night in Canada, host during an interview. Yay Mike! Let's hope the enemy doesn't get a hold of him too!


6 comments:
I don't have one of those fish stickers on my van. Why? Because if I should do something during my driving that could cause someone to look at the fish symbol and say, "Look at that woman and she claims to be a Christian!" I don't want to blaspheme God's Name in any way. The way I see it, those who claim the Name of Christ and live as if He doesn't matter to them is blasphemy.
As Brother Paul Washer has said, there are many who want to go to heaven when they die, they just don't God to be there when they get there.
The time is quickly approaching when the wheat is going to be separated from the chaff...Actually, it's already begun.
Excellent post, Sue...
Excellent thoughts, Sue! We are all held accountable for our testimonies, but those who are in the spotlight bear an even greater responsibility, I think, because we are more visible and have more opportunities to fall publicly. That said, grace is available to all... but man, I want to faithful. Thanks for the post!
I am so with you on all of these great thoughts.
Another celebrity that we just can't forget is Oprah Winfrey who claims Christianity but her open acceptance of "many paths" and that "Jesus just can't be the only way" show her true colors. Thanks to John 14:6, Christians are assured there is no other way. But Oprah says He's her way, but somone else may have an entirely different way to get to God and that's okay.
The impact her hypocrisy is making in this world is scary. I often pray for her soul - imagine the impact she could make if she could get her heart right with God and share that process with the world. I have not given up on her.
Great blog, Sue.
I hear ya sista! I wonder these things myself, especially when "M" chose some of them as "Christian" role models! (Brittany and Jessica Simpson.)
LOL....would love to come and give you a hand. I've just made two batches of scones for tomorrow. My friend Peta-Anne whose mum just passed away is coming tomorrow, so I wanted to have some yummy comfort foods on hand. I'm about to shart the downstairs dusting, vacumming the floors, then I need to mop all the tiled areas which is the kitchen, family room, laundryroom, downstairs bathroom floors and entry foyer. So I have an offer you can't refuse....I'll come and help you if you come and help me ;)
Hope you have a great weekend sweets. How can another weekend be almost hear. It's already friday afternoon here so that makes it Thursday night there. Luv ya right back xoxooxoxxo
I was a People Magazine fan years ago. I went cold turkey and haven't looked back. I am trying to watch less TV too and work on scrapbooking or read Christian authors. This post was a refreshing drink to me. I would love to see more Christians stand in Christ in the spotlight. Just imagine their witness to others! Excellent post my friend!
Hi Sue, I enjoyed your post today. I love Mandisa's music and you can really tell she loves music. I have all 3 of her cds. I have seen the news about Kate and Jon but I also questioned them at times. I hope that they can work it out for the sake of their 8 kids. Hugs
Post a Comment