Monday, April 27, 2009

Knitting Fiend

It's Monday and as you can see I was MIA on the weekend from blogging. If you've been reading my blog over the past few weeks you know I've been feverishly knitting a baby blanket for our friends D & E, awaiting the arrival of Baby T. E's due date is today... or make that WAS today.

I had spent a little time on our gorgeous Saturday afternoon stuck inside with knitting needles in hand but at the time figured I had at least two more days, but more than likely another week to finish the blanket. Most first babies tend to be late... right? Or at least that's the story I'd been told and was banking on. Ha ha ha. Joke was on me!

At around 7pm Saturday night a "Private Number" call came over our phone. Thinking it was a telemarketer as usual I let the phone ring. Having a husband with a "sensing" gift can be quite handy, although frustrating too (which is another story that I won't share now), and hubby grabbed the phone before the caller hung up. To our surprise it was D, calling to tell us that E had delivered a beautiful, 7 lb 5 oz baby Girl at around 1pm that afternoon. We were stunned (as D & E had popped over Friday afternoon, apparently on their way to the hospital ~ the little sneaks!), overjoyed and for me, a little panicked! Now I REALLY have to get a move on in the knitting department.

So, beginning Saturday at 7:30pm I was a knitting fool. I knit Saturday night until around midnight, slept, got up, went to church and then came back and sewed my butt to the sofa Sunday afternoon to pick up where I left off. Around 3pm we heard a knock at the door. While hubby went up to put some pants on... don't ask... I grabbed the door.

There at our front door were D & E on their way home from the hospital. They came to introduce us to Baby C on their way by. OH MY GOODNESS! I can't begin to tell you how honored we felt and how much I wanted to get my hands on that beautiful little bundle in the back seat but I refrained. I did run up and get my camera... wanna see?

Baby C - one day old!

Isn't she gorgeous? She even smiled for the camera - hee hee. We were flabbergasted that D & E would even think of coming to introduce us to their new daughter on their way home from having her. Wow! I'm blown away by that!

Anyhoo... after a short visit in the driveway, we sent them off to get settled into their new chapter of life and I went back to the couch where I stayed the rest of the afternoon and evening, only to stop long enough to eat and pee. I finished the colored square portion of the blanket around 1am, having only the white border left.

I got up at 8am this morning, grabbed a cup of tea and head straight back to the couch. Two hours later the knitting portion of the blanket is done! Phew! Now all I have left is the task of sewing all the ends together... this should take me another few hours I'm sure! Here's the backside view:


And here is the finished product (or at least will be when all those loose ends are tied up!)



So... that's where I've been and now I need a good massage! How was your weekend?




10 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's an amazingly gorgeous baby blanket. How lucky you are to get a visit from the new baby.

Elizabeth said...

Oh wow it's such a beautiful baby blanket. How special for baby C, your friends are so sweet to have stopped by. I know they'll be thrilled by your baby blanket. Have a terrific day, hugs

Country Mouse, City Mouse said...

Great job...how pretty is that? How wonderful it was for your friends to drop in for you to meet the new babe. I snorted when you said your hubby needed to get pants on, sounds like this place, except hubby would have no shirt.

Denise said...

oh my goodness, I would not have wanted to sew all those ends in. Your blanket is beautiful! what yarn did you use, it looks like a boucle, I love the soft colors.
Baby C looks so tiny and perfect, what a blessing.

Abby said...

I'm impressed! Good work!

Tracey said...

Oh Sue, that is a beautiful blanket! You are so talented! You must be very special to your friends for them to stop by on the way home. Baby C is adorable!

I have never tried making snapdragons talk, but I'm going to now, lol! Hope the weather is perfect for Doug's arrival in San Marcos at the end of May. ((BIG HUGS))

Anonymous said...

Oh my word! What a beautiful blanket! That is very elaborate compared to many handmade blankets I've seen! And C is adorable! She'll look so sweet wrapped in your beautiful gift.

Kat said...

Hi Sue that's a beautiful baby blanket for Baby C; Sure baby C will love it!! I sure do. What a cute photo of your cat and you. How nice to have your friends come by on their way home with their new baby in hand. That would be quite a surprise! glad you got to see the little wee one. So darling. Just love babies they are so precious. Big hugs

Darylynn said...

How sweet and a beautiful blanket for a beautiful little baby! Both my kids came early... I was expecting to be late, too. Surprise! I missed my last Lamaze class, too. Does anyone even do that anymore? ;) (((Hugz)))

J-La-Sta said...

Beautiful blanket Sue! You are talented! You have a wonderful blog and I'm so glad you read my blog! God Bless! :)