
I'm not sure whether it's materialism or whether it's superficial beauty issues that disturbs me the most. The thought of people obsessing about facial wrinkles and spidery legs all day long just doesn't sit well within my spirit. I think part of it has to do with growing up with my mother and her physical situation with the paralyzed face. I struggle with the fact that we are so much more than the external appearance.
One of my favorite verses is in 1 Peter 3:3,4:
Don’t be concerned about the outward beauty of fancy hairstyles, expensive jewelry, or beautiful clothes. You should clothe yourselves instead with the beauty that comes from within, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is so precious to God.
Sitting at a desk for 8 hours a day aiding people in their quest for "outward beauty" while their internal beauty is in jeopardy disturbs me in a way I can't begin to express. I'm not against us looking after ourselves at all, although I am a self-professed "low maintenance" kinda girl (woman). I guess I just feel sad when we, as women, get wrapped up in society's definition of beauty.

Why as a society do we focus so much on the external, that can so easily be burned, beaten, pulvarized and mutilated in a split second? People aren't able to put food on the table, yet dig up enough money to do Botox or fillers in their facial crevices to "feel" young. Why are we not able to see the beauty within that is SO precious to God? I want to be someone who looks at who the world sees as "unlovely" and see the lovely inside them. I want to spend my energies being lovely inside. So, needless to say, I'm glad to be home and back in my reality. The makeup free days and simple life of non-striving, no-fuss existence.
On a side note... Book Club was a BLAST last night!
This woman, K, who has been very enthusiastic in participating (like myself) through the past few month's meetings, suggested me (thanks so much!) for leading our next meeting when M & her pals are not able to be there. I have felt a kindred spirit with K since the beginning of the year but have never had the chance to speak to her until last night. As she suggested me, I was suggesting her to lead next month. Well, to make a long story short (sort of), we have decided to jointly lead the meeting. I'm looking forward to getting to know her and hopefully a new friendship will blossom from this as well as blessing the group next month.Lastly ... I feel so spoiled this week from my sweet hubby! Last night when I arrived home from Book Club, I saw this little white cord sitting on my laptop.
"What's this?" I asked D. He then pointed towards a tiny little black box sitting alongside my laptop. Now you may be thinking "tiny" as in "jewelery" but it was a little bigger than that
. It was a tiny little external hard drive for my laptop. So small it will fit perfectly in my computer bag to take along with me when I travel! PLUS... look what was waiting for me when I arrived home today from work:


8 comments:
Such lovely flowers that Doug gave you! Very touching! I think of you often, and your loss of your sweet Meg. I still miss my Tassie cat, who passed away in Nov. 2003. I still feel an emptiness with her being gone. I have had cats since her, and have a cat now, but I have never had a bond with them like I had with Tassie. Cats become so much a part of the family, and when they are gone, you really notice it. I've been praying for you!
Andrea
Hi Sue, what a pretty flower arrangement and how nice of Doug to do that. What kind of external hard drive did you get? I need to get one.
I just noticed the picture of you and Meg. I know how it hurts because I had to put my Missy down and that was when Renee was about 2. We got Reina when Renee was about 10 and she will be 20 in a couple of weeks. Time for me to go to sleep. Hugs
Your hubby is so sweet!! Those flowers are so pretty. They will make your home feel like spring (even if it is 30 degrees) :)
Not that I know you all that well, but I cannot imagine you working at that office full time! I can't imagine having to listen to people talk about wrinkles and botox every day!! That would drive me crazy! It's sad how much money is spent on those types of procedures. It kinda reminds me of the octoplet mom who had no money but her nails done! OK, I'll get off my soap box now!
Enjoy your new hard drive!
Hi Sue! Thanks for "coming out!" ;) I'm happy to have another blog friend and FB, too. Yes, blogging is much more personal and you really get to know one another. Along the lines of the superficial stuff you were talking about with your job... the thing I love about blogging is how we often have no idea what our friend/s looks like but we connect heart to heart. A reality show junkie? Then we ARE meant to be friends! ;) (((Hugz)))
Thank you for dropping by my blog and leaving a comment. I appreciated your post today. I struggle at times with not getting caught up in the outward appearance. I know the Lord loves me just the way I am (squeaky clean face with nothing but a smile) but the world only sees the surface. Kind of like when people ask you how you are as they're walking away from you. Frustrating.
Lovely flowers! I'm so sorry about your kitty, Meg. I have two cats and a dog and they are precious to me. My heart goes out to you.
How wonderful sweets that Dough surprised you with the external harddrive and beautiful flowers... you deserve to be spoilt so I'm thrilled he did that for you.
I just wanted to take this opportunity to with you and Doug a very happy and blessed Easter. Love you lots my sweet friend. xxx
Your hubby is so sweet, Sue! Those flowers are so beautiful.
Have a Happy Spring and a Hoppy Easter. Ciao! :)
Isn't that the sweetest gesture! He did a great job picking them out. Very nice:)
Post a Comment