Friday, April 3, 2009

Good-bye Old Friend

Our Precious Meg
Nov 1994-Apr 2009


To my Meg, aka "Muffy",

It was January 1995 when you and your brother Sydney came to our home as tiny little fluff balls of soft fur. Kitty 1You were the adventurous one. At the Humane Society that day you were so inquisitive you got your head stuck in the cage. When they tried to squeeze it out, you bit the humane society worker. We didn't blame you one bit. We would have done the same thing in your situation.

It was a few days later as you were getting settled into your new home that the Animal Control worker showed up at our door to check on our "vicious" cat that had bit the humane society worker. Mommy almost laughed in the man's face. "You want to SEE my "vicious" cat?" You were about the size of Mommy's hand. Hardly a ferocious lion!

You went through an awkward stage in your first year. You had supermodel cheekbones and I hoped desperately that your fur would fill in like it had on your brother's face.

You were always the adventurous one. You were able to hop up into our bedroom window to watch the birds, while your big, not quite as quick, brother couldn't hop up that high. And you LOVED being up there. Even when we put the chair in the guest room a few months ago, you were always quick to pop up on the back of it to watch us back out of the driveway. I'm sure if you could have waved, you would have. Waving


Your maternal instincts kicked in quickly as a young cat. Many times you would carry around the little pink, felt bunny Grandma H made you. I used to love it when you would sit behind me on the sofa and "groom" my hair. You would have made a great Mommy, Meg, if we hadn't sent you & your brother for the old "snip & rip" but then again, if we hadn't sent you, you and your brother would have had 3-headed kittens and that's a no-no!


You were one of the prettiest cats I'd ever seen. Even you knew it as you'd spend time admiring your own beauty in the closet mirrors. Kitty 4 You had THE softest fur I had ever felt. It felt like velvet cotton (I know, there is no such thing as that but it's the closest way I can describe it). Even after you were gone this afternoon, Mommy and Daddy couldn't stop petting you. Petting

You loved to play, especially with the little green frog Sydney left behind in Sept 2007. You would swat it around and chase after it. KittyIt was especially precious when after a rousing game with it, you'd lay your head on Mr. Frog like a little pillow and take a nap. All that frog chasing pooped you out!


We realized you were sick last year when you began drinking more. The doctor said you had hyper-thyroidism and we knew at that point, our time with you was running out. You hung in there like a trooper, even though it was difficult for you to use your litter box all the time. Even though it frustrated me to no end, I tried not to take that frustration out on you. We also noticed last year that your breathing had changed. You developed a terrible wheeze that concerned us but the vet said it was probably allergies. I think you had asthma.

We knew you weren't well because your eyes lost their shine. You seemed to be restless and unhappy and we realized this year that you were smaller than before. Even Grandma noticed, particularly this last time she came to care for you last month.

The hardest decision we have ever had to make, Muffy, was deciding this week to take you in to Dr. Hill. You had lost even more weight Scalewhile we were away and your appetite changed which concerned us. You were a trooper!

This past week as I prepared myself to let you go it felt as if you were letting go yourself. As I would pick you up to take you to your room at night, instead of wrestling to get free from being carried, you allowed Mommy to nestle in and smother you with kisses and cuddles. Lips Today, even though you tired easily, you let me take endless amounts of pictures Camera 2 and video to commemorate your life.

Even in your last breathes you were a trooper. Other than hating the entire car ride to Dr. Hill's, once there you allowed Daddy and I to say good-bye with lots of hugs and kisses. You were at peace, Muffy. We could see it in your body as you allowed without a fight the doctor to fill your body with sleep-inducing medicine.

It was hard to walk away from you and leave you there, but we choose to believe that we only left your body. You are in "Kitty Heaven" now, Meg... chasing mice and birds with your brother, Syd!

Thank you for the 14+ years of joy and laughter you gave Daddy and me. You and your brother filled our home with life and you are missed already. The house feels empty without you greeting us at the door.

Daddy and I are all alone for the first time since we were newlyweds. You were so special. My little "girl". Even though I wasn't always patient with you, I loved you more than even I knew. Rest well Precious Muff! You will remain in our hearts forever!! Kisses


9 comments:

blessedmomof3 said...

Awwwww! Sending you lots of hugs and prayers, Sue! I know how much you loved your sweet kitty, and I know you will miss her so very much!

Andrea

Julie said...

Just dropping by to leave you a big hug. I know it wasn't easy to say good-bye to "Miff", but she was so blessed to be loved by you and know what it was to be warm and cozy, cuddled and loved. You made her life full and happy....what more could a little kitty want.
Leaving you warm hugs and lots of love. xoxooxox

Tracey said...

Awwww, sweetie, sending you hugs! I'm praying God gives you and Doug comfort during this time. ((BIG HUGS))

Denise said...

:-( it was time! Praying God fills you with peace and comfort right now. Love you
xxxxx

Judy said...

Sue, I have sat here & cried my eyes out, right along with you. What a beautiful post in tribute to your 'little girl'. Meg certainly was beautiful! It's so hard to lose a four legged friend, & I know you are sad & hurting right now. Keeping you in prayer dear friend. Hugs!

Susan said...

I am so sorry for your loss, animals become part of our family but know that she is looking down on you now.

daisy said...

I'm so sorry about your little sweetie. She sounds like a great cat! What an eloquent post. I had to get the Kleenex before I could see to type.

It's so hard to let them go, even when you know they're suffering. The one not-so-great thing about having pets is that they don't live nearly long enough.

Country Mouse, City Mouse said...

I can see you loved her so much. I know you know that the right decision was made. I know you didn't want her to suffer.

I know the way your heart is feeling right now. I will be thinking of you.

Abby said...

Seriously...you brought a tear to my eye. So sad.