What a glorious 75 degree day we had here in Raleigh! My sister and her hubby left for Savannah, Georgia around 10:30 this morning and after taking Buddy for his walk, we were off to the driving range to hit out some balls. It's been a year since I touched my golf clubs and we knew that we needed to go get some practice in before we book a tee time for next week.
Half way through our large bucket of balls, a man wearing a baseball cap and polo shirt walked up to the area where we were hitting. He walked past us, said hello (everyone is VERY friendly down here in the South, especially compared to home where no one seems to look you in the eye), and upon seeing my sunscreen on the concrete, asked if he might use some. "Sure" I told him.
The three of us exchanged pleasantries and somehow the topic turned to church and faith. Upon learning that we were "Baptists" he engaged us into deeper discussion and both hubby and I felt led to share more about our faith and relationship with Jesus. He explained that with his job as the golf pro at the driving range, he often worked Sundays, but he often had the desire to get back in touch with his faith roots by attending church but something always stopped him. He opened up about his job and his relationship with his girlfriend and we felt compelled to speak God's Truth to him and inspire him to seek God for help and encouragement with these issues.
We stood talking to E about an hour and when it was time for him to get back to work we asked if we could pray with him. He welcomed that so the three of us stood in a little huddle and prayed. After E left we wondered if he had originally approached us to ask us if we wanted to take a golf lesson, but in the end he was the one to receive a "lesson" of sorts. We really felt like God had sent him over for a divine appointment and we felt so honored that God would use us.
1 Peter 3:15 kept running through my head the whole time E was talking to us: Instead, you must worship Christ as Lord of your life. And if someone asks you about your Christian hope, always be ready to explain it. It was so cool how God just gave us the words to say and the boldness to speak into E's life. Hopefully he will take the steps he needs to take in order to find God's peace and contentment in his life. I do pray he chooses to seek God!
Who knows what opportunities God has in store for us on any given day. It might be the person in the grocery line behind you, the mother of one your kid's friends or the golf pro at the driving range. We never know what divine opportunities God has waiting for us!


3 comments:
Hi Sue, I'm showing like I visited you a couple of times in the last few hours but it's my first visit today. Glad you enjoying the South & the nice weather, things sure are different in the South. How special to meet E & pray with him. Enjoy your stay, hugs
How wonderful that you were able to be used by God like that...I love when that happens. Thanks for sharing.
I'm so happy that you are willing to show God's love and truth with others! It's pretty cool to see God work, isn't it?
I hope you have a wonderful relaxing vacation. Good luck with the golf. I have clubs and haven't picked them up for two years because I'm so competitive that I couldn't handle that I wasn't instantly good at it:). Hopefully it will be a fun activity to do with your hubby!
Post a Comment