Saturday, February 21, 2009

Perspective by the Porcelain

On Tuesday morning, I awoke to this twisting, turning, churn in my stomach likened to a dishrag being rung out. I knew it wasn't going to be a very good day!

To make matters worse, just as I was heading into the bathroom for what might have been the first "upchuck" of the day, I hear a knock at my door. No way, I'm thinking to myself. I run to peek in the peep hole. It's an old friend I haven't seen in around 5 years.

Talk about a nice greeting ~ "Hi E! Come on in... I'm just about to throw up!" No wonder she was a little hesitant to come in but I was determined to have a quick visit since she stopped by. Unfortunately, no doubt more for her than for me, the first 5 minutes of our visit was with her standing in the hallway watching me hang over the porcelain. I can't begin to tell you how thrilled I was that I didn't throw up in her presence! Thank you Jesus!

We ended up having a quick little catch up visit before she had to go... and I had to throw up... but in our visit she brought with her sad news of another old friend who was diagnosed with cancer recently.

As I was sicker than a dog that day, I couldn't help but think of people, like my old friend, who deal with horrific sickness every day. For me, it was really bad for 24 hours, but for so many in our neighborhoods that kind of sickness is a way of life.

It's now Saturday and I am finally able to eat solid food again without wanting to go back and hug the porcelain. I am so grateful for my health. I take it so much for granted. God truly has blessed me with so much but it is in those times of suffering, like Tuesday, where I forget that. As humans we cry out to Him for relief, only to take things back and resume our old pace.

This is one of the reasons for my new blog site and new theme. There are always going to be lemons in life, whether sickness or financial troubles, family issues or emotional turmoil. But when we hand over those lemons to God, He somehow enables us to take those lemons and make something sweet out of them. Perhaps that something sweet is only sweet in Heaven, but we can choose in those lemon-filled moments, to choose Joy.

I hope you are able no matter where you are at today to make a little lemonade and find some of the sweet spots in your life!

No comments: