I haven't mentioned this in my blog prior to today because well... let's say I was a little "shy" to reveal my quest. Actually, it had more to do with I wasn't convinced that I could stick it out and so rather share too early and feel like a failure, I would button my lip (or keyboard) and like Nike suggests, "just do it" for myself. What I'm talking about is my quest for fitness and better health. Five weeks ago I began a 6 week challenge on my Wii with the EA Sports Active program. This program is like a circuit-training program that gives short, fun and sweat-inducing workouts done on the Wii with your own cyber trainer who pushes you to step it up when you lag behind. I finally learned how to shut her up by silencing her in the options!
I have a goal to ultimately lose 15 pounds, although after all this time I haven't seen the scale but move 2 pounds since I originally started, but I have seen a tightening of my flabby bits and reshaping to the point my "muffin-top" has gone from a "grande" to "mini" muffin top. Yesterday, for church, I even got into a pair of corduroy pants I haven't been able to wear for well over a year. Progress is being made... slow but sure, but the key is it's being made!
Another thing I've been doing to help me in this quest for better health is counting calories. I found a couple of really cool apps on my iPhone to help me track my calorie intake: My Fitness Pal and My Net Diary are easy ways I've found to help me "budget" my daily calorie intake. It's amazing how much easier it is to make healthier food choices when you know what your daily limit is for food. I can eat whatever I want but I'm learning that as 1 Corinthians 10:23 says, "I am allowed to do anything”—but not everything is good for you."
I've found this to especially true when I go to the movie theater. The "old" me used to think nothing of sitting down with a large bag of popcorn, with butter and munch away throughout the movie, scarfing down a good half of that bag by myself. I now realize that bag is almost, if not more than, my entire day's calories. Hmm... no wonder the scale was moving up so much! Now when I go to the movies I'm aware of my "budget" and I choose wiser - either bringing my own healthier snack from home, or picking wiser at the concession stand. Yesterday, for instance, I had a free coupon for a small popcorn so I got it with no butter and only ate 1/3 of the bag. It was still about 200 calories... but it was part of my lunch allotment so it wasn't too bad.
So, with one week left of my 6-week challenge, I'm ready to continue on this quest of better health and I've found another great way to stay motivated... besides thinking of being in a bathing suit and shorts in a few short months. I had picked up Candace Cameron-Bure's book Reshaping it All, on my eReader and hadn't yet dug into it. My book list is pretty big on my Sony and Kindle books so I'd put it off but now, Candace and Darlene, her co-writer, are starting a 65-day challenge for women to encourage one another on their goals of "Reshaping it All". By July 4th, women all over the world will be rallying together with helpful tips and inspiration to help us not only to reshape our bodies, but to also reshape our relationship with God and food into a healthy, godly balance. I like that!
So... as I stand naked (figuratively) before you, my friends, family and blog readers... I am committing to continuing the journey of reshaping my life into order with exercise, food and putting God at the head of it all. Wanna join me? Here's how:



2 comments:
Congratulations on the positive results thus far! I did the Daniel Fast (there's a book of this title) in late December/mid-January, and I lost 15 pounds in less than three weeks. Although I didn't think I had it to lose (I'm fairly petite already), I felt so much better. You eat a vegan diet during the fast. I loved the diet and the results so much that I decided to maintain it until, at minimum, the end of June (I am in a teaching certification program that ends at that time). I have a feeling, though, that I will continue eating this way for some time to come.
Keep up the good work, and keep exercising!! You're doing your heart good too!!
That is awesome!! Keep it up:)
Post a Comment