To Glee or Not to Glee... that was the question of my spirit the past few weeks, heck maybe even months. When that musical group of Geeks showed up on my t.v. screen over a year ago, I was captured by their clever renditions of old classic tunes and quirky humor. I mean seriously, how tongue in cheek was it to have the president of the chastity club get pregnant? And Sue Sylvester... the stuff that came out of her mouth was so outrageous that it couldn't help but make you laugh.
These Glee Club kids had me captivated week after week and I thought it couldn't get any better than Season 1 and boy was I correct! Season Two began in the Fall with a fresh new agenda and within weeks instead of impatiently waiting for my Glee fix, I was beginning to feel more and more uncomfortable by the topics and the "in your face" approach by the writers to push their gay agenda. Sure, Kurt is a homo-sexual. I get that. But do I really want to see him make out with another boy at 8pm on a Tuesday night in my family room? No thank you! And don't get me started on the whole Brittany/Santana bi-sexual relationship wanting to sprout wings and fly in the future. That is just pushing this season too far and I for one am not going to take it any longer.
Now I must clarify here, that this is only my opinion and honestly, my own convictions. (I am not judging anyone else's tv watching habits!!)
As the weeks have passed, with each disappointing episode, the Holy Spirit who lives within me was getting more and more uncomfortable by my watching this show. One other time can I remember so vividly God asking me to quit watching something was with Desperate Housewives during Season 1.
If I'm honest, I've come to "know" these characters on Glee. Some I like. Some I loath. I still enjoy the clever ways they introduce songs into the plot (although this season it's like they've chosen to pick the songs for shock value more than entertainment value). I am awed by the talent of these young people and look forward to seeing them in concert with my Hubby in June. But that all doesn't change the fact that God is spurring my spirit to turn the channel and divorce myself from this show and it's anti-God writing.
I'm not going to lie. It's going to be hard when the temptation will be each week to flip onto Fox and just "peek" at what's going on at McKinley High. The first few weeks will be difficult for sure, but then it will get easier each week as I find other ways to spend that hour that will feed my spirit rather than sour it. So... tonight, Tuesday night, at 8pm while my DVR wanted to tune in to this weeks episode of Glee, I chose to cancel the recording and instead watched an old rerun of... The Brady Bunch. Now talk about Geeks!


7 comments:
I think you're brave and courageous for posting this, and also I'm so proud of you for listening and obeying. I could do more of that myself!
I kept reading how people LOVED this show.. and to be honest.. I wanted to watch it too.. but as I sat and watched.. the marriage falling apart.. the pregnant teenagers.. the gays.. it was all just too much..
It's almost like I could see the devil dancing around in the background..
God will truly bless you for your conviction...
There's always great cooking shows on and I love Lucy reruns.. LOL
I stopped watching it too at the beginning of this season. I applaud you for sharing your heart about this on your blog.
I love the idea of the show but it just got too much for me to watch.
I must be one of the few people that have never watched the show, and now I'm very thankful for that. I appreciate you sharing your conviction and your obedience. I used to be a huge Grey's Anatomy fan, but when the one season ended with two ladies in a shower after the Holy Spirit had been nudging me the entire season, it was the final straw. I had withdrawls, but they eventually stopped and I believe I'm better off for it. Nice to know that I'm not the only one that Desperate Housewives doesn't work for too!
Good for you Sue for obeying that conviction. I have been there before while watching something or TV and will turn the channel. Probably not as often as I should but I try to listen when I can hear God speaking to me.
Fortunately for me, I never really watched the show, I tried peeking in on a episode awhile ago and it was only during a dance and singing part, and I just didn't get it. So needless to say, I did't stay tuned.
Hope your having a good week.
Hugs,
Cindy
I've been feeling much the same recently. I still love the music but it does feel like the show has an agenda now and I'm not even enjoying the story lines like I did in the first season. I started watching The Biggest Loser this year which is on at the same time so I'm not missing it as much as I thought I might.
Hi Sue! I really enjoyed it when it first came out, then the inuendos started coming out and I said, "That's it!" I never went back. I thought, what kind of message am I sending my daughter by watching that with her around. Good Post! Came by to tell you I was thinking of you today! ((HUGS))
Post a Comment