Having lost my mother, I could feel for her the pain that she must be enduring, although she must do so amidst the public's ever-watching eye. What inner strength. I don't know if I could do it.
This got me thinking today while chatting with a dear friend. The question presented was, "What happens if (while working through a difficult situation) I end up back where I started?" My mind went to Joannie and every other skater (or athlete for that matter). A skater's life is full of tumbles, falls and stumbles. When these amazing skaters that captivate us with their routines and jumps of Olympic proportion first learned to skate, I'm sure they were on their butts more than their blades. They quickly learned as children to pick themselves up and brush themselves off and have at it with more tenacity and resolve to accomplish their task. It was discipline that kept them on the ice, trying time and time again to perfect the jump.
Likewise, we as Christians are called to be like the athlete, disciplined in our "training". 1 Corinthians 9:24-27 says:
Don’t you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win! All athletes are disciplined in their training. They do it to win a prize that will fade away, but we do it for an eternal prize. So I run with purpose in every step. I am not just shadowboxing. I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to do what it should. Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I myself might be disqualified.
If we, in the midst of working through difficult situations, find ourselves falling on our butts, like these athletes, God calls us to pick ourselves up and get back in the game. The price of not doing so it too high. So, I am reminded to encourage my friend (and myself) that like Joannie, we must dig deep, beyond our heart breaks and suffering. We must dig down deep and apply the training we've been given and with discipline and willpower, keep running... or skating... the race set before us to win the Gold!
I give Joannie so much credit for her focus and the courage she has shown to go forward. She has shown such inner strength. If I can learn even just a little slice of her focus and strength in my spiritual walk, there will be not much that can keep me down on my butt when it feels like my skates have been pulled out from underneath me.
I'll be cheering for her tonight... how 'bout you?
And now... onto lighter things... This week's Random Dozen, thanks to Linda over at 2nd Cup of Coffee:

1. Have you ever fired a gun or shot a bow and arrow? In my teen years at summer camp I learned (poorly I might add) to shoot a bow and arrow. Now... I just shoot the "cyber" one on my Wii
2. Do you know where your childhood best friends are? Yep... she lives about an hour east of me... and I'm god-mother of her 3 yr old daughter!
3. Do you usually arrive early, late, or on time? I'm usually early or on-time... even when I try to be late!
4. Are you more of a New York or California type? Having been to both cities... I think I am a little bit of both... but in my heart of hearts, more a California type.
5. Do you have a special ring tone? On my cell phone, I have "Lucy and Linus"... the Peanuts theme song.
6. What is your favorite type of chip? Salt and Vinegar... Mmmmm!
7. Best comedy you've ever seen is .... I honestly don't know where to begin to pick just one. I'll leave it at that... I can't answer... too many things trying to posture for "best".
8. Have you ever cut your own hair? To quote Dr. Phil, "How'd that work for ya?" I cut my own bangs usually... and make a colossal mess out of them regularly, but I'm too lazy to run to the hairdresser every few weeks to have her trim them. Never attempted the whole head though - too neurotic for that!
9. If you were going to have an extreme makeover, would you rather it be about your house or your personal self? House! I purposefully buck against the whole personal "makeover" thing... it has to do with my convictions on the definition of beauty.
10. Are you allergic to anything? Dust and feathers... and go figure... my house is FULL of dust (dust bunnies are a country accent aren't they?)... and I still sleep on a feather pillow... go figure why my nose is always stuffy.
11. Why is it so hard to change? Human nature I believe.
12. One last question dedicated to February love: CS Lewis said, "To love is to be vulnerable." Please share one example of that assertion or share any thought you'd like to about this topic. When I started dating my hubby I had a "secret" from my past. I didn't want to share it, but I knew that if he asked me, I would have to tell him because I didn't want to lie to him. I had to believe that if he loved me, he'd accept me. So... I did... and it was worth it!
Okay... now it's your turn!


8 comments:
That story is so amazing! I'm not going to lie. I was in tears when they were talking about her story on the Today show! It's just heartbreaking. I'm so glad that she is continuing to skate. I know she needs to grieve, but I think she would regret it later...
I haven't seen much of the Olympics but after reading your post I will be rooting her on tonight. I love salt and vinegar chips too. YUM
Enjoyed your answers. Glad you joined us. I have not watched alot of the Olympics, but I did hear of her story. Bless her heart her mom may not be there in person but I am sure she is there in spirit rooting her on.
until next time... nel
Great post, Sue! I am in awe of Joannie's courage and strength, and the strength of people who choose to keep going after going through such a difficult loss.
And I totally envy your ability to be on time/early. I think I'm even late in leaving this comment. ;)
I was so happy to see her win a medal. How bittersweet though.
Fun reading your answers to the random...I picked a self makeover mostly because I was thinking new wardrobe, personal trainer, and a spa day. That would be enough for me : )
Great post! I too have lost my Mother, and I felt her pain as well. What a "trooper" she is - I am so glad she won the GOLD. Your random dozen good answers!
Hi sweetie, just wanted to pop in to catch up. I didn't see any of the olympics while away nor when I got back last week. I wish I did, they sound like they were wonderful. Glad you enjoyed them so much.
Hugs
xxxx
Hey girlie, just popping in to say hi. Can you believe I didn't watch the Olympics? Nope didn't happen here for me. I did here about the young lady who perservered and won her medal after her mom's untimely death. How tragic!
Just wanted to say hello and wish you a great week sweetie.
Hugs,
Cindy
Post a Comment