I became an Aunt when I was 8 years old. Seventeen years ago this week I became a Great-Aunt. I kid often that I always knew I was a great aunt but when my first great-nibling was born it was made official!
Having a large, fertile, family has provided 15 fabulous niblings (siblings' kids/nieces&nephews) ranging in age from 36 to 13 (and 2 great-niblings as well, 17 & 5). I have been blessed to have close relationships with all of these wonderful young men and women through various chapters of their lives. In June, one of my nieces, "K", called to share exciting news of a new chapter in her life. She and her hubby of 4 years, "P" are expecting... triplets. Along with the shock of this news, came great excitement that our family was growing once again with 3 precious little miracles on the way.
Yesterday, my sister-in-law, (K's mom) called with troubling news. K has a heart problem ~ bicuspid aortic valve disorder. She's had this issue since she was a wee girl. I remember this because on a sunny, September day when I was 21, my Mom and I were in a head-on car collision. I was taken to a different hospital than my Mom (she had a head injury and needed to go to a different hospital specialized in head injuries). My oldest sister came to pick me up at the hospital I was in and she & I ran into my oldest brother, his wife and little K who was also there that day for one of K's specialist appointments.
In the past 20 some years since that day, our family hasn't discussed much of K's heart issue, mostly because it hasn't needed to be discussed, but that changed with yesterday's call. K is 16 weeks pregnant with her triplets and after a visit to her doctor, there is not great concern. K's aortic tube is enlarged. A normal tube is 2cm in diameter. K's is 4.7cm. Normally, when an aortic tube is 4.5cm the patient is scheduled for open heart surgery, but because K is pregnant, that's not possible.
K & P's doctor suggested if they wanted, they could terminate one or more of the babies which they declined. I can't blame them at all, especially after how long and hard they tried to have these little ones. But with this decision to continue the pregnancy comes greater risk. K is not allowed ANY stress. How does one anticipate without stress carrying triplets, all while dealing with a deadly heart condition, oh and don't forget the flooded basement a few weeks ago that destroyed many of their belongings? Okay. No stress. Right!
What makes this so dangerous for K is that not only the high-risk of triplets themselves, but with pregnancy comes increased blood flow pumping through her heart which increases the risk of an aortic anyerusim which could kill K.
K's doctor has encouraged her to decrease her workload and I'm sure eventually she'll be on full bed rest. They plan to take the babies out at 24 weeks, giving them steroid shots to help develop their little lungs. Soon after she delivers these little ones, K will need to have open heart surgery to spare her own life.
I don't think I was much comfort to my sil yesterday on the phone. I can't imagine the terror she felt as K's Mom and future Grandma to K's triplets. Not being a Mom I can't even imagine being told this news and the possibility of your child's life being taken at any time due to this internal problem. As much as I adore my niblings, I don't think I'll ever know that love between a parent and child in that way.
Needless to say though, we are all very concerned. This is one of those times where the rubber meets the road in our faith ~ believing that God is Who He says He is and that He can do a miracle. Trusting in God's goodness and His faithfulness is imperative at this time, no matter what happens ahead. As serious as the situation is, I do feel a peace that God has this all under control. God is not surprised that K has a heart problem, nor is He unaware that she is carrying 3 babies inside her body. He has permitted these things and I trust that He has a purpose and a plan for K & P & their family. If I have learned anything in the past 14 years of my journey of learning to trust God it's this... He is worthy of our trust and He is good... even when it doesn't feel like it!
May I ask you, my precious blog friends, to join with me in praying for my family. For K and P, R & M (my bro & sil) and the entire extended family. May God grant us a miracle in keeping K safe through her pregnancy and in the safe arrival in early Oct (or later hopefully) of the triplets. May He teach us that He is good, and that His will is always what is best for us, even when it doesn't make human sense. Pray as God leads you and on behalf of K, P, R, M and myself... THANK YOU and God bless you!!


8 comments:
Oh Sue!
I am so sorry for this heartbreak. I will be praying.
Sending love your way.
xox
You know I am praying sweetie, with all my heart. And I know we can trust in our Lord. I can't begin to even imagine how scary this is to your niece, and I pray that her faith will help keep the stress at bay. I know you'll keep us posted, and please pass on our loving wishes to your family.
Love you sweetie.
xxxxx
Oh my. I'm so sorry to hear about this. I'll be praying for you and for your family. I can't imagine being in K's shoes! How could you not stress? You just couldn't! I'm glad that you'r keeping such a great attitude and remembering that God already has it all planned out for the good. Lean on Him.
I'm so sorry to hear about your niece. I'll keep your whole family in my prayers.
Please keep us updated on the situation. Even though you can't see me, I'm sending you a huge hug right now.
HI Sue how very sad. I will certainly keep your family in my prayers. What a hard thing to deal with I am really speechless. I can't say what I would do myself, but I certainly think that God is in control of all things and would defiantly need my lord and savior to walk me through this one. Keeping your BIL and SIL and the triplets in my prayers. big hugs
Will keep them and you in prayer! Praying for strength and peace as well wisdom for the doctors as they treat her. Keep us updated.
Hi Sue! How sad that the joy of expecting triplets has to be so complicated by K's heart issues. I'm sure the doctors will see to it that she gets the rest that she needs. I think it's so cute how you call your n & n's niblings :) You are a great aunt in more ways than one! :) Keep us updated as K and her babies will be in my thoughts and prayers! (((Hugz)))
Sue, I will absolutely be praying for your niece, those 3 sweet babies, and your family. What a bittersweet time for all of you. Please keep us posted.
Post a Comment