Sunday, July 12, 2009

UFC and Hibernating Me

My hubby is not the typical "he-man" of 24 hr a day/7 day a week sports on the t.v. Bless his sweet heart (and lucky me) he only watches football... and only NFL at that (and not the CFL ~ Canadian Football League)... oh ya and the occasional golf on Sunday afternoons. There is no basketball, baseball or even hockey (Canada's national sport). Nope... hubby is just a football/golf fan... or should I say rather WAS just a football/golf fan. That all changed about 2 years ago when one of my nephews-in-law introduced hubby to the "wonderful world" of UFC ~ Ultimate Fighting Championship.

Fortunately again for me, UFC is only on Pay-per-view once a month and hubby only really watches when one of his favorite fighters are in contention so I'm not the sports-widow that I could be! (Thank the good Lord above!)

I tell you all this because last night was one of hubby's big "fight nights" in our little Nest. He invited his old friend (our former vet), his teenage son, my nephew and his roommate. Being the incredibly loving wife that I am (cough, cough) I prepared honey garlic ribs, cream cheese salsa dip, and a veggie tray for the men. The event doesn't start until 10pm but the guys arrived shortly after 9pm.

By that time I took my laptop, a chick flick and hibernated down in the family room with a few veggies and dip for myself. When my chick flick was done I spent time obsessing over YouTube videos of this season's Bachelorette, trying to figure out which of the final 3 I think she'll choose. Can you say OBSESSED!? It is a disease I'm sure that I need to find the cure for. I have an infectious "crush" of sorts on Reid, one of Jillian's adorable suitors. (Hope hubby doesn't mind this harmless crush!) I have watched Jilly & Reid's date in Spain like 4 times hoping that by sheer wishful thinking she won't disappoint ME and not choose Reid. I know... pathetic!

By midnight the guys were still deep in their UFC so I quickly hopped into the kitchen (not chicken... but thanks Amy for catching my faux pas! Not sure how to hop into the chicken and ewww... don't think I want to know how!), grabbed a glass of water and head up to our room. By the time hubby came to bed (around 2:30am) I was fast asleep.

This morning hubby informed me that the snacks were a huge success and a great time was had by all... even the hibernating me!

9 comments:

Sarah said...

Enjoy the games with your hubby! I'm not a big sports fan, (haven't owned a tv in over 7 years ...) but I like to get excited with friends.

Hugs for your day,
Sarah Dawn

PS Hope you served your lemonade!

Anonymous said...

My hubby is such a stinker. By the time I'm starting to love the sports that he watches, he decides he doesn't want to watch them anymore. I fell in love with NCAA Womens Basketball, he stopped watching. I thoroughly enjoy NASCAR, he switch to NHRA. If I didn't know him better I'd believe it was a plot!

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

May I ask...How do you hop into a chicken?? That's something I want to see! LOL!

Denise said...

Ooh I hate that UFC, I wouldn't like to think Jason is watching it cos I think it's really violent :( He has been known to watch it and he would probably prefer it to any other sport but like you don't bother with the pay-per-view thing.
Glad you all enjoyed the night though.
xxxx

Abby said...

Jonathan likes to watch UFC. I enjoy sports but I hate watching any sort of fighting/boxing! What a good wife you are!

Darylynn said...

Hi Sue! The good thing about an interest in sports is that it does give you time to do your own thing! ;) Jeff is not fanatical about sports either and he even watches DWTS, SYTYCD, Survivor, Amazing Race and Idol with me. Don't tell the guys at the fire station about the 1st two! :D He has his own TV in the captain's quarters. ;)

I haven't watched a lot of The Bachelorette this season and I'm not even sure who Reid is. I'll watch tonight- is this the finale? I know there's a Kipton- interesting name. Glad she booted the country singer wannabe!

(((Hugz)))

Tracey said...

Hi Sue! Sounds like everyone had a wonderful evening and you got some alone time in! I watched one viewing of the Bachelorette a few weeks ago and liked it but have forgotten about it since so I guess it wasn't that great, lol! Hope you are having a great day! ((BIG HUGS))

Leah said...

My husband doesn't watch too much sports either. What a nice thing you did for him! And shame on your for your bachelorette vice. ;)

Susan said...

Hi Sue, my hubby does not watch much sports either. He watched AI, DWTH and Survivor with me. I started the Bachelor the first night and just did not stay with it. I have been spending more time with Renee and Eddie as we get ready for baby 2 and our trip to Hawaii. SO want to share the rib recipe?