Don't you just love the feel of someone else washing your hair? It's not like we can't wash our own hair, but somewhat like when someone else makes a meal for you, it's always better than had you done it yourself! So was my experience at 10:15 this morning.
I used to go to this salon years ago... way at the start of our marriage and the very beginning of infertility journey. I loved my hairdresser Tracey. She had a wonderful British accent and was very kind and always made me feel comfortable. Some salons make me uncomfortable. I either feel like the stylist's piece of canvas that they feel they have the right to do whatever they want to. I'm too neurotic for that! Or there is the salon that is so trendy I leave feeling robbed from the high cost and completely out of my element as a frumpy housewife instead of a Cosmo girl.
About a year or so after I first met Tracey at "Dolly Mixtures" she got pregnant and left. Yay for her, but "Boo, Hiss" for me. I guess I could have stayed with the salon and found another stylist, but at the time I was such a mess emotionally from our own situation that I decided to find a new hairdresser and ended up at a male stylist from a friend's referal.
This guy was okay. He did a pretty good job on keeping my style similar to how Tracey cut it but he was rather arrogant and so after a while I decided I didn't like him either. Around that time, one of my nephew's was with a woman who worked at a salon near my home town. I decided to go there to support her (sort of) and found another new stylist who I liked. Now I really have to interject here to let you know that I am cheap! I mean... once a year, maybe twice a year, color my hair at home... cheap! So, from one cut to the next at this salon I would find that the previous stylist had left and I was forced to try someone "new".
In time the relationship for my nephew didn't work out and I decided that a) it was a little uncomfortable to go back there, and b) it really was a ridiculously far drive for a hair cut so I went back to Dolly Mixtures, where I started 15 years before.
Margie is my new stylist and she is wonderful. Very similar to Tracey, minus the accent, she is someone you would want to be friends with. You chat about similar things and she really makes you comfortable and feel at home. What I love most about this whole salon is that I have never once left there dying to get home and rewash my hair because I hated the way it was styled (or cut). Know what I mean? There is nothing worse than handing over hard earned cash only to find that you look like a freak when you leave the salon. I remember one time long before I was married, the woman styled my bangs so high they hit the roof of my car. I know... probably the '80's!
Anyhoo... after watching Margie work her magic,
I paid my very reasonable bill and head out the door, once again thrilled with a job well done! Wanna see? I grabbed the tripod when I got home so I could show you all 4 sides of the new do! I sure hope I can recreate it myself because I really quite like it.





10 comments:
CUTE!!! That's how i would love my hair to look, but my hubby thinks mine is too short now! Men and long hair....
I am super cheap when I get my hair cut, too. I go to Cost Cutters (which is a chain), but I rarely have anything drastic done with my hair. It's always a basic trim or only a couple of inches cut off. If I were to get a whole new style, like super short or something, I'd go somewhere else, however, getting it cut super short isn't gonna happen!
As for hair color, every 6 weeks, I open a box and put the stuf on my head. $7 is much easier for me to deal with. :o)
Me again...You need to use that last pic as your new profile picture! It's a great picture of you!!
Oh Sue!!! That is a great haircut! SO cute! A very nice style for you! I'm never happy with my haircuts. I got mine done last week on Monday. I had to cut to a few inches below chin length, and had layers. Big mistake, as my hair looks dreadful that way, and the gal didn't cut evenly. I was not happy when I got home and had a better look at it. So on Wed, went to another place and the gal fixed it, it's straight, no layers. I like having my hair short (still a little longer than chin length), as it was almost down to the middle of my back and it was annoying me. My hair never cooperates!
You look lovely! A very nice style for you and the color and length are perfect for you! Men do not understand the bond we have with our stylists. They are one of the people in charge of making us beautiful, and that's important! Congrats on finding someone you like!
Hello! I was just doing some blog hopping and saw your cute blog!!
I don't know what your 'do' was before, but this is cute :-)
Have a great day!
Your hair is super cute!
I was laughing at the bangs hitting the roof, I am sure that was me in 1988!!
I know exactly what you mean about finding a good hairdresser and sticking with them. My husband can not understand why I drive outside of town to get my hair cut!
Hi Sue! Love the new cut! Looks great on you and what a great color your hair is. Did you ever see the Seinfeld episode where Jerry feels guilty for letting another barber cut his hair? I'm the same way.... if I saw another stylist, I'd feel like I was cheating on Jody- my longtime stylist! ;) Enjoy Survivor tonight!
Hey Sue! Congrats on new hair- doesn't it transform your self-image? You can go in feeling like frump dump and come out feeling like the Cutie of the Block! I love it. Speaking of cheap- I go for an ANNUAL haircut!!! I do it myself for the rest of the year! Isn't that ridiculous?
I agree with Amy, pic4 looks like a new profile pic to me, esp. if cropped to be just your face... Cute!
And again Amy, yes, what is with men and long hair??? Everyone I know says I look better in short hair- Except my hubby. ah well.
So Sue, how did you find my blog? What id you think? Have I met you before? I did my degree at UofT.
Thanks for visiting!
Very cute haircut Sue!!!
Have a nice weekend! Hugs
I really like your hair cut. I wish mine could do that but I don't think I could tame my curly hair long enough for it to stay that cute. My oldest has her cut very similar to yours a few months ago. I liked it on her as well.
Doesn't a great new haircut make you feel wonderful!
God Bless!
Post a Comment