Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Overwhelming Wednesday

What started out as a crazy day actually ended really well.

I went to bed around 1am this morning after feverishly trying to finish the baby blanket for Baby C. (What was I thinking doing all those squares in different colors?) Knowing I had a "to do" list longer than my arm I got up around 8am to get started on my day.

Every morning I head down to the kitchen, grab my tea and head to my computer to check email. I confess, I am addicted to my laptop. A day without email is like a day without air I believe. Sad isn't it?

Anyhoo, after quickly checking email, I picked up the blanket again and started back to work on typing up those silly strings. After about an hour, I put the blanket down, ready to head to my next task... "snack" for Ladies Group tomorrow as well as small group tonight (and dessert for dinner with D, E & Baby C).

Pulling out the recipe for "Crack Brownies" as requested by the ladies' at church, I began unwrapping the 100+ Kraft caramels for the double batch of brownies. I split them up 50/50 in separate pots along with the required evaporated milk and began melting the caramel. I soon realized that the one ingredient I had forgotten to pick up was butter. Stink! I don't have enough in the fridge. I turned off the stove and oven and quickly ran upstairs to get out of my p.j's and into some track pants to run to the top of the street to pick up a brick of butter. I guess I'm rather glad I live in the city where quick trips to the store are just that... quick!

Thankfully at the corner store a kind gentleman allowed me to slip in front of him in the line. "You can go ahead" he said. "Bless you! I'm in the middle of a recipe and ran out of butter" I replied. "I thought that was the case" he responded, "My wife sends me out for one thing all the time. I guessed that was what you were doing". Yay! Pay it forward really works and even in reverse!

Back home I reheated the caramel and quickly put together the remainer of the brownie mix to finish the recipe. Within the hour those were done and cooling and I could get back to the blanket!

By 2:45pm I was FINALLY done the blanket so off I ran to the laundry room to pop it in the washer. Now it was time to start dinner. D & E were expecting us around 5:30 with dinner. I decided to make manicotti. Whipping it together lickity split it was in the oven by 4:30 and I was pooped.

I finally sat down. All of the stress and hurry of the week, between preparing the bridal shower for the engaged couple in our small group, finishing the blanket, preparing for ladies' group Thursday, book club next Tuesday, snack for tonight/tomorrow, dinner not to mention my writing assignment that is still half done hit me like a ton of bricks. My back ached and a headache was beginning to form at the base of my out-of-whack neck and I was on the verge of mental meltdown. You know those times when just one tiny thing will send you over the edge into a crying fit for no reason? Fortunately, the water works didn't have a chance to start before we had to head out the door to Baby C's.

As overwhelmed and tired as I was, once we got to D & E's I was fine. It was going to be so good to finally get my hands on that brand new baby. I'd been waiting for this moment since Halloween when D & E told us they were expecting. First though, I had to feed the brand new parents so I quickly cut up some broccoli and steamed it in the microwave and then dished out the manicotti we brought. I ate while hubby held Baby C


then once I was done eating I finally got a hold of her! Ahhhh! She is so precious!

As you can see, she's all snuggly in her new blanket. E could barely wait to dig into the bag when we arrived.

We are so happy for D & E as they settle into life with their adorable baby girl!


It always amazes me to see how perfectly God knits and I marvel at those tiny little details of a newborn baby: the itty bitty fingers and fingernails that are perfectly shaped, the gentle curve of the tiny eyebrows, the perfect little lips. Ahhhh! God's handiwork is awesome!

Well today's post is now yesterday's post as the clock has turned midnight. Guess it's time for this scatterbrained woman to head to bed to begin another crazy busy day. Glad this one ended on a high note!



8 comments:

Susan said...

Sue, the blanket is just so beautiful. It did make me smile and give in to the thought of my next grandchild. I still need lots of prayer. Glad you made it through your busy day. Hugs

Anonymous said...

You are amazing. I feel 10 different kinds of guilt over my plan to sit on my rear end all day today. I'm off from work and I wanted to just chill. Now I feel the need to make a list. You rock!

Darylynn said...

You look in total bliss with that sweet baby! Your baby blanket, I'm sure, will be a treasured item. I kept the handknit things for my two. :) LOVE the name crack brownies- too funny! I can relate to that addiction! Survivor tonight! Yay!

Abby said...

Wow! You had a big day! I have a love/hate feeling for those types of days because you feel so exhausted, but on the other hand, you accomplished so much!

Um, those crack brownies sound to-die-for! I only ever buy the ready to make box of brownies, so homemade ones with caramel sound delish!!!

I hope today you get a little R and R!!

N Dyess said...

Whew! You had a quite day. I got tired just reading about all you did. The blanket is beautiful! I enjoy your take on your days.

God Bless!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sue! Surprise!! Im here! LOL! I am making myself get back to blogging. You have been so busy lately girl! Dont get too busy! The baby is adorable! Your blanket you made is gorgeous!!!! Well gotta go chase Gavin...Lotsa hugs!!

Kat said...

Hi Sue wow what a week but a great week of accomplishment and company to boot with a new baby over for dinner aren't they precious! the baby is so sweet and cute. So tiny too. Thanks for your prayers offered up for my son we need them! big hugs

Country Mouse, City Mouse said...

Doesn't the baby look adorable in your blanket? What an amazing friend you are...I can't wait to get together some day.

Have a wonderful weekend, my friend!